The Missouri River Bird Observatory is seeking one Grassland Bird Technician to conduct line-transect surveys of migrating prairie birds from ~1 September to 15 November 2019. The start date could be flexible. MRBO’s grasslands project is entirely conservation-focused, and target species include some of the most precipitously declining birds in North America.
After a training period, technicians will conduct surveys by 400-m transect that document all bird species by sight and sound. The transect surveys involve covering a couple public properties by repeat visit throughout the season, to result in each line-transect being visited 8-10 times. The surveys take place on prairies near El Dorado Springs MO, where shared housing is provided in a nice home.
All survey data are collected on iPads using ArcGIS Collector; no additional data entry is needed once field work has concluded for the day. This is a good opportunity for gaining experience working in a threatened habitat, during a typically under-studied season, and employing innovative technology for conservation purposes in the ArcGIS On-line platform.
· Excellent bird ID by sight and sound. During migration, any species can show up and ID of secretive species (e.g. sparrows) by sight and by chip note are particularly important.
· Outgoing, professional demeanor with ability to interact with agency staff, private landowners and members of the general public.
· A strong conservation ethic.
· Good physical condition, stamina and ability to handle hot and cold weather, thick and wet vegetation and biting insects.
· Flexibility to work within changing logistics and live in close quarters with one other technician.
Work is performed approximately 6 days/week throughout the season. Some travel by personal vehicle throughout the study areas is required. Compensation is $1600/month, mileage reimbursement for personal vehicle use at $0.35/mile, and shared housing with all utilities. The home base housing in El Dorado Springs has internet access, clothes washer, and free access to the community recreation center. If time allows, it is likely that technicians will be asked to assist with a few outreach events over the course of the season.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please address your qualifications as listed above. Deadline is August 15th, 2019 but applications will be reviewed as they are received, and hiring will occur as soon as a suitable candidate is found.