Interns are invaluable to the Florida Keys Wild Bird Center. We are happy to provide 6-month, paid internships to individuals who are interested and passionate about wildlife rehabilitation and conservation. The unique ecosystem of the Florida Keys creates a great opportunity for interns to gain knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of avian species. From seabirds and shorebirds to raptors and songbirds, interns can expect to work hands-on alongside our Certified Wildlife Rehabilitators at Mission Wild Bird and independently at the Laura Quinn Wild Bird Sanctuary.
Our Avian Care internship consists of 5-day, 40-hour (sometimes more) work weeks. The schedule is split up so that each individual’s time will be split between our Sanctuary and our Hospital. You will get experience at both locations but may work more at one location based on prior experience, preference, and availability. We provide a $200 bi-weekly stipend and shared intern housing located on-site at our Sanctuary.
We are currently looking to fill 3 positions for our Avian care Internship.
Opening 1: Available immediately
Opening 2 and 3: Available early 2023 (February - March)
Hospital Duties include:
- Daily cleaning and feeding of Hospital patients
- Maintaining hospital cleanliness (i.e. sweeping, mopping, laundry, etc.)
- Administering medication and fluid therapy
- Helping staff with wound care, blood work, fecals, X-Rays, etc.
- Participating in bird rescues, intakes, and releases
- Being on-call for bird emergency calls at least two nights per week
- Keeping detailed and updated reports on sick and injured patients
- Partaking in after-hours bird emergencies
Sanctuary Duties include:
- Daily husbandry of permanent sanctuary residents (i.e. feeding, cleaning, checking enclosures, replacing/cleaning perches, etc.)
- Picking up donated fish from local marine centers and sorting fish for quality
- Helping with regular clean up of the facility such as pressure-washing the boardwalk, replacing mulch, and trimming branches
- Feeding and cleaning of rehabilitation patients in medical and flight cages
- Occasional weighing of patients, assessing condition, and noting diet changes
- Researching, organizing, and providing enrichment for residents
- Helping with any educational events such as occasional sanctuary tours and regular interactions with visitors
- Working towards or completed Bachelor’s Degree in biology/animal related field or equivalent experience
- 6 month commitment
- Willing to work 40 hours per week, including weekends and holidays with occasional evenings
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and work in hot, humid, and rainy weather conditions
- Capable of multitasking and handling physically and mentally stressful tasks
- Ability to interact with the public in a professional manner
- Have a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and ability to work well with others
- Valid Driver's License and clean driving record
*Start dates are flexible*
How to Apply
To apply, send your completed internship application, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To access the application and find more information, please visit our website- www.missionwildbird.com/internships