Interns are invaluable to the Florida Keys Wild Bird Center. We are happy to provide 6-month, paid internships to individuals who are interested and passionate about wildlife rehabilitation and conservation. The unique ecosystem of the Florida Keys creates a great opportunity for interns to gain knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of avian species. From seabirds and shorebirds to raptors and songbirds, interns can expect to work hands-on alongside our Certified Wildlife Rehabilitators at Mission Wild Bird and independently at the Laura Quinn Wild Bird Sanctuary.
Our Avian Care internship consists of 5-day, 40-hour (sometimes more) work weeks. The schedule is split up so that individuals will be working 2-3 days a week at our Wild Bird Hospital and 2-3 days a week at our Sanctuary. We provide a $200 bi-weekly stipend and shared intern housing located on-site at our Sanctuary.
Hospital Duties include:
- Daily cleaning and feeding of Hospital patients
- Maintaining hospital cleanliness (i.e. sweeping, mopping, laundry, etc.)
- Administering medication and fluid therapy
- Helping staff with wound care, blood work, fecals, X-Rays, etc.
- Participating in bird rescues, intakes, and releases
- Answering bird emergency calls at least two nights per week
- Keeping detailed and updated reports on sick and injured patients
Partaking in after-hours bird emergencies
Sanctuary Duties include:
- Daily husbandry of permanent sanctuary residents (i.e. feeding, cleaning, checking enclosures, replacing/cleaning perches, etc.)
- Picking up donated fish from local marine centers and sifting fish for quality
- Helping with regular clean up of the facility such as pressure-washing the boardwalk, replacing mulch, and trimming branches
- Feeding and cleaning of rehabilitation patients in medical and flight cages
- Occasional weighing of patients, assessing condition, and noting diet changes
- Researching, organizing, and providing enrichment for residents
- Helping with any educational events such as occasional sanctuary tours and regular interactions with visitors
- At least 21 years old
- Working towards or completed Bachelor’s Degree in animal related field
- 6 month commitment
- Willing to work 40 hours per week, including weekends and holidays with occasional evenings
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and work in hot, humid, and rainy weather conditions
- Able to multitask and handle physical and mentally stressful tasks
- Ability to interact with the public proficiently
- Have a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and ability to handle multiple personalities
- Valid Driver's License and clean driving record
How to Apply
To apply, send your completed internship application, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com.