Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
Safe and happy working environment
WEST is seeking self-motivated candidates who are skilled in bird identification and have previous experience conducting avian use surveys at pre & post-construction sites. The ideal candidate(s) will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors. Start dates are negotiable, within reason, but may start as early as May 1, 2020.
- Conduct standardized fatality searches (i.e., beneath wind turbines) to locate bird and bat fatalities, avian use surveys (i.e., avian point count surveys), and acoustic monitoring set up and maintenance
- Conduct field work in remote locations; fieldwork will include field navigation, observing and recording avian activity, and servicing acoustic equipment, as needed.
- Conduct other field work as needed and experience allows.
Schedule: 8-12 hour days as needed
Start date(s) as early as May 1, 2020.
Housing: Temporary housing (i.e., hotel) will be provided for projects with travel; partial or full reimbursement for rent for long-term housing (i.e., apartment) may be possible dependent on location.
Additional Details: A vehicle will be provided or mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicle use
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must be able to identify birds by sight and sound for species in the region; candidates experienced in bird identification will be given preference
- Previous experience on biological field studies and/or prior field experience conducting avian surveys required
- Skilled use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
- Must be able to maintain equipment
- must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, clients, landowners, and other technicians
- Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.