The Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Alliance seeks applications for one experienced passerine bander to work on contract as Assistant Bander at the Vaseux Lake Bird Observatory, from July 30 to October 16, 2019. The successful applicant will be responsible for assisting in the operation of the Vaseux Lake Bird Observatory (VLBO). VLBO is a moderate-volume banding station running continuously since 2000. The station is located on the west side of Hwy. 97, 1 km north of Vaseux Lake and 4 km south of Okanagan Falls, BC. The station is located on land owned by Environment and Climate Change Canada (Vaseux Bighorn National Wildlife Area) and Provincial Crown land. Migrants are sampled through banding (with 14 mist nets), a daily census, and general observations. Since banding concludes by noon, the Assistant Bander will have ample free time. Very low cost accommodation is available nearby with student biologists.
The contract is $420/week for 11.5 weeks, with an additional $200 stipend for assisting with 10 school programs during banding hours. Total contract is $5030. The Assistant Bander is expected to work 30-hours per week (5 days a week for 6 hr/day). VLBO has an exciting and active banding program and hosts visitors including school programs, students, and members of the public. The successful applicant will assist in these banding demonstrations and other duties, such as clearing net lanes and maintaining equipment, as assigned. We recommend having your own vehicle. There is the opportunity to participate in a voluntary Saw-whet Owl Banding initiative, contingent upon sufficient volunteers.
· Must be proficient in the safe extraction of birds from nets; ideally will have extracted 750 birds.
· Applicant has at least one season’s experience of high volume fall migration.
· Able to assist in data entry and proofing.
· Willing to work outdoors in inclement weather with prompt arrival for work each day.
· Ability to identify local birds by ear for daily census.
· Willing to work with and train volunteers.
· Interested in communicating with the public and school groups on banding and migration monitoring.
· Applicant can identify, age and sex commonly occurring passerines.
· Applicant has North American Banding Council certification.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information, with three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org who you can direct any questions towards. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled, but please continue to submit resumes even if you are concerned you missed the cutoff. See the observatory website https://vlbo.wordpress.com/about/ and Facebook page @vaseuxlakebirds for more information.