Mackenzie Nature Observatory requires Assistant Bander for our 2023 fall migration season.
Mackenzie Nature Observatory (Mugaha Marsh Banding Station) is located approximately 14.5 km north of Mackenzie, BC. The station follows a standardized protocol that meets the scientific requirements of the Canadian Wildlife Service and the Canadian Migration Monitoring Network. Mackenzie Nature Observatory is an incorporated society and a registered charity.
The purpose of the society includes researching, conserving, restoring and assisting in the management of the natural resources found in the Mackenzie area, promoting the understanding and enjoyment of nature by providing opportunities for public participation and education and encouraging and engaging in the protection and restoration of threatened and endangered species.
Position - Assistant Bander 2
The Assistant Bander 2 will work 4 (possibly 5)-days per week. These workdays will occur when one of the other banders has days off and may occur on weekends and/or weekdays.
Nets open at sunrise and are open for 6 hours.
This position will commence July 17, 2023 and conclude Sept. 30, 2023.
- Assist the Bander-in-Charge, Assistant Bander 1 and volunteers with the day-to-day running of the banding station. This will include, but not limited to, extracting birds from mist nets, data management, banding, and censusing.
- Good knowledge of Western Birds (adult and juvenile) by both sight and sound.
- Good computer skills.
- Knowledge of moult, hybrids, and taking measurements an asset.
- Knowledge of Bandit, and CMMN’s DET program is an asset.
- Ability to work with others of all skill levels and ages.
- Willingness to share your knowledge with others.
- Qualified to live and work in Canada.
The Assistant Bander 2 is hired as an employee of Mackenzie Nature Observatory. You will be paid biweekly at a rate of $150 to $170 Canadian per day depending upon your experience.
Mackenzie Nature Observatory’s banding station is at Mugaha Marsh 14 km northwest of Mackenzie via a logging road. Private accommodations are provided on site.
Send your application, or request more information, by sending an email to Mackenzie Nature Observatory at MackenzieNatureObservatory@gmail.com.
Position open until filled.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.