Employer: Trent University
Location: 70 km north of Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada
Description: The three assistants will be conducting nest searching and monitoring of Arctic nesting birds in the high arctic in order to assess the effects of bird deterrents and spring flooding on nest initiation and success. The position will involve long hours of walking daily. The work will be from last week of May to mid-July 2019. The field crew will be staying at a mine site and traveling out from the mine daily.
Salary: $2500 - $3000 per month, plus 4% benefits depending on qualifications.
Field Station & Amenities: Onsite food and accommodation will be provided as well as travel to and from the mine site. Applicants will need to get to Montreal, Canada for the flights.
Qualifications & Expectations:
- One season of experience nest searching preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of North American bird species identification
- Experience with bird handling and banding is preferred but not required
- Strong organizational skills, adequate data collection and management
- Experience working in bear and wolf habitat
- Physically fit, able to walk long distances while carrying heavy gear and equipment
- Work and live remotely within a small crew
- Work independently with daily tasks
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and demonstrate resiliency in difficult working conditions
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Preference may be given to folks with French as their first or second language
Applicant Instructions: (1) A one-page cover letter detailing your interest in the position and summarizing your relevant skills and qualifications, (2) A resume detailing your involvement in avian research and other forms of fieldwork experience, (3) Contact information for 3 references that you’ve worked for or alongside who know your work habits.
Deadline & Interview: Materials must be received by 01 March 2019; interviews will be conducted before and after the deadline. Applicants will be reviewed based on a first-come-first-serve basis. Decisions will be made when qualified candidates are found.
Email all materials in a single PDF file attachment label FullName_FieldTechTrent2019 using the subject header “Field Technician, Trent University 2019” to:
Environmental and Life Sciences Graduate Program
giholmes91 @ gmail.com
Edited by giholmes91