Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for full-time temporary Acoustic Survey Crew Leaders in the eastern U.S. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- To lead a two-person crew to conduct acoustic presence/absence surveys for Indiana bats and northern long-eared bats at proposed development projects in the Eastern and Midwestern U.S.
- There may be limited opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys (e.g. bat mist-net and telemetry surveys).
- Duties include deployment of ultrasonic bat detectors (e.g. AnaBat, SM3, SM4, etc.), data organization and transfer, and supervision of one crew member.
- The crew leader should be able to work independently and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors including adhering to schedules and providing routine summaries of survey efforts.
- Use of bat detectors, global positioning system devices, maps, compass and digital cameras as well as the ability to maintain equipment
- Training will be provided for survey efforts and job related activities
- Crew leader will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST.
- Crew leader will be expected to use good judgment to stay safe and work efficiently and maintain safe working conditions for crew members.
- Preference will be given to those who are rabies vaccinated.
Compensation: $22-$24/hr depending on experience, per diem provided while conducting fieldwork, all project-related expenses will be covered, a $500 bonus is available upon completion of field work and if the employee is in good standing
Start date: May 15
End date: August 15
Location: Eastern U.S.
Housing: Lodging provided while conducting fieldwork
Additional details: Vehicles will be provided for work completion or mileage reimbursed. Bat detectors including associated gear, GPS units, compass, camera, and will be provided by WEST.
However, job candidates must be equipped suitable field wear including footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.).
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent preferred.
- Field experience related to wildlife ecology.
- Must demonstrate prior field experience
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients and landowners.
- Must be able to maintain equipment.
- Candidates with prior experience using bat detectors and leading field crews will be given preference.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; hiking in adverse conditions with small to moderate loads
- Follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Skilled use of bat detectors, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Field work will entail hiking to acoustic survey sites with up to 30 pounds of field equipment in varying terrain, sometimes in inclement conditions.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.