The Hobson Lab at the University of Cincinnati (http://hobsonresearch.com/) is seeking a postdoctoral researcher with expertise in social behavior. The postdoc will lead and supervise research crews to study social structure in captive groups of monk parakeets. The major focus of this work is to gather social data on aggression and group conflict in parakeet groups as well as conduct experimental manipulation of the social systems to quantify how parakeet social behavior responds to different kinds of perturbation.
This position will require the postdoc to live and work with field crews in Florida for 2-6 months/year while residing the rest of the year in Cincinnati. This position will include opportunities to develop projects aligned with other questions that the lab is asking or to perform self-directed projects of the postdoc’s choosing.
- PhD degree must be granted by Dec 2019 (at the latest) in biology or closely related field
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature
- Valid driver’s license
- Animal social observation experience (wild or captive)
- Experience leading field crews and supervising seasonal field assistants
- Bird handling experience (mist-netting, banding, blood sampling)
- Data analysis, especially social network analysis in R (or, at minimum, a strong desire to learn these skills)
- Strong writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
Our successful candidate must be able to begin working in January, 2020 and be able to lead the pilot field season in Florida from March to mid-May 2020. Field seasons in following years will take place from Jan-May. The initial appointment is one year; renewals may be available and will be based on the candidate’s year 1 performance and continued funding.
Applications must be submitted online at https://jobs.uc.edu (this link - https://jobs.uc.edu/job/Cincinnati-Post-Doctoral-Fellow-Biological-Sciences-OH-45201/602410300/ - should take you directly to the posting, otherwise, search for requisition #40219).
To apply, submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, and contact information for at least three references (letters of reference will be requested for finalists). Please use the additional documents to attach required documents. PDF format is preferred.
Please apply by 15-Nov-2019 for full consideration
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Dr. Elizabeth Hobson (Elizabeth.Hobson@uc.edu).