The Full Cycle Phenology Project in the Department of Biological Sciences at Boise State University invites applications for a post-doctoral researcher to study seasonal phenology of migratory birds within an annual cycle framework. Specifically, the post-doc will work with our team to refine and develop an individual-based model (IBM) that incorporates intra- and inter-seasonal effects on individual behavior to predict population responses to environmental change. An annual cycle IBM is currently being developed for our model species, the American kestrel. We are looking for a post-doc to demonstrate the portability of the IBM by parameterizing it for other migratory bird species. The post-doc will work with a collaborative team of ecologists and modelers across different institutions and have opportunities for leading training workshops for partners.
- Candidates must have obtained their PhD by the appointment start date (mid-late August).
- Demonstrated statistical and programming skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The selected candidate must meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time of appointment and to continue working legally for the proposed term of employment.
- Experience developing or using individual-based models.
- Knowledge of R, Netlogo, or both.
- The ability to work well on teams and independently.
- Interest and understanding of ecological concepts related to migration, phenology, and population dynamics.
- Interest, experience, and/or ability to promote a climate of inclusion and equity.
The successful candidate will be based at Boise, Idaho and have opportunities to interact with collaborators at The Peregrine Fund, HawkWatch International, Colorado State University, St Mary’s University and the Department of Defense. The position starts mid to late August 2019 and is available for two years, with annual renewal dependent on performance.
Salary: $50,000 a year and full benefits
To apply for this this position, please submit a single PDF by email that includes a cover letter that specifically address the qualifications listed above and a description of work experience, curriculum vitae, and contact information for 3 references to the following email address: email@example.com. Please put “ecopostdoc” in the subject line.