We have several openings in our Hawaii office for wildlife field biologists to assist in a study examining seabird light attraction fallout at commercial facilities on the islands of Kauai and Maui. The focus of the monitoring will be to document seabirds that are grounded due to light attraction during the fledging season for seabirds (specific emphasis on Newell’s shearwaters, Hawaiian petrels, Wedge-tailed shearwaters, and Band-rumped storm petrels but includes all seabirds that may be encountered).
Surveys will be performed from September 15 through December 15, 2019 at Lihue and Nawiliwili on Kauai, and Kahului on the island of Maui.
We are looking for candidates who reside on the islands of Kauai and Maui and are available 7 days per week to conduct 2-3 hours of monitoring each night for the three month duration of the study.
- Follow established protocols and procedures, perform surveys to monitor project facilities.
- Handle grounded birds including documenting incidents and communicating effectively with facility and rescue personnel from state resource management agencies.
- Perform duties independently but in close coordination with the Project Manager, fellow biologists, site facility managers and security personnel.
- Ability to obtain a valid Transportation Workers Identification Certification.
- A degree in biology or similar environmental science field.
- Experience conducting biological and/or environmental monitoring and knowledge of seabirds or experience conducting seabird monitoring.
- Accurate data collection, note taking, field documentation, knowledge of GPS, and communication skills are a must.
About H. T. Harvey & Associates:
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an ecological consulting firm based in Los Gatos, California, with six offices in California and Hawaii. Our core areas of expertise are restoration ecology, landscape architecture, plant ecology, wildlife ecology, fish and aquatic ecology, and ecological research. We cultivate excellence in our staff and our work in pursuit of our mission to create ecologically sound solutions to our clients’ complex natural resource challenges.
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities, disabled and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should respond by submitting a cover letter, resume, and transcripts through this link: https://bit.ly/2ZlRoau