H. T. Harvey & Associates, an ecological consulting firm based in Northern California, is looking for a wildlife field biologist for a monitoring project at a wind-energy facility in Alameda County near Livermore, California.
What you’ll do
As a field biologist in our wildlife group, you will be responsible for conducting fatality searches at the facility focused on medium and large raptors, generally two days per week throughout the year. Work will require extensive hiking and include carcass handling, species identification, and data recording using iPad-based data-entry systems.
Required experience and skillset
- Good field experience and observation skills
- Good skills identifying birds and especially raptors that occur in California
- A demonstrable background in ecology or wildlife management
- Candidates with an academic background in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, or an equivalent subject are preferred.
- Applicants with a relevant bachelor’s degree are preferred, but advanced undergraduates with desired skills and sufficient schedule flexibility also will be considered.
This position requires the future employee to:
- Hold a valid driver’s license with no major traffic violations or multiple minor violations
- Hike extensively over complex terrain for surveys
- Work safely in a variety of weather conditions ranging from summer heat to inclement winter weather
- Follow best practices for field safety
The following would be a plus:
- Own a personal 4WD or AWD vehicle and willing to use it on the project site
Note: Travel reimbursement from place of residence to project site near Livermore, CA typically is not provided.
How to apply
Interested candidates should respond by submitting a resume, academic transcripts, and a cover letter. In the required cover letter, please share some observations about your general experience as a birder, knowledge of California raptors in particular, and favorite bird species. Submit your application through our job portal here: https://bit.ly/2PEd95X
About H. T. Harvey & Associates
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an ecological consulting firm with four offices in California and one in Hawaii. Our core areas of expertise are plant ecology, wildlife ecology, restoration ecology, landscape architecture, and fish and aquatic ecology. We hire people who strive to be the best in their fields and provide training, support, and work opportunities to grow their expertise.
This year we are celebrating our 50th anniversary of cultivating excellence in our staff and work in pursuit of our mission to create ecologically sound solutions to our clients’ complex natural resource challenges.