We have an immediate opening in the South Bay office of H. T. Harvey & Associates for a full-time, experienced wildlife ecologist with avian/raptor expertise. The successful candidate will have the experience and expertise required for projects pertaining to golden eagles, Swainson’s hawks, burrowing owls, and other raptors. In addition, skills and interest in pursuing diverse ornithological and general wildlife studies will be important. We work on an array of projects from general wildlife surveys to applied conservation efforts to cutting-edge raptor research.
This position reports to a senior avian/raptor ecologist in our headquarters office in Los Gatos, California, and will include duties consistent with the role of an assistant project manager. Examples of primary responsibilities are: coordinating wildlife/ornithological field studies and crews; managing resulting databases and associated QA/QC; assisting with data analyses and technical reporting; managing relevant permits and associated annual reporting; and helping to maintain productive client relationships and exposure within the wildlife conservation and scientific communities.
Required background and skills:
- Strong academic background (minimum M.S. degree) in wildlife ecology, ornithology, or a related field
- Broad ecological knowledge and familiarity with the flora and fauna of western North America, especially California
- At least 2–4 years of post-graduate school experience conducting and coordinating relevant field studies, including involvement in raptor trapping/banding/telemetry and nest monitoring, managing and analyzing resulting databases, and preparing technical documents
- Familiarity with biological components, impact analyses, regulatory and permitting requirements, and documentation facets of CEQA/NEPA projects, Section 7 and 10 consultations, bird and bat conservation strategies, and eagle conservation plans
- Strong database management and quantitative skills
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills
- Previous experience managing field personnel
- Valid driver’s license with no major traffic violations or multiple minor violations
- Willingness and availability to travel throughout California and beyond.
- Willingness to work irregular and long hours, as needed
- Ability to maintain good physical condition and work in harsh and rapidly changing field environments, in all types of weather conditions, walking over varied terrain, and lifting and carrying upwards of 50 pounds
- Familiarity with best practices for field safety and low impact principles
How to Apply
Interested candidates should respond by submitting a cover letter, resume, transcripts, and references through this link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=42db2748-b13a-41da-a951-fccb2d6c4ab1&jobId=39581&lang=en_US&source=CC2&ccId=19000101_000001
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities, disabled and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Our employment package includes a competitive salary, medical, dental, and life insurance, as well as a 401K with generous employer match.