Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. We are looking for energetic and experienced Wildlife Biologists
Position Type: Permanent / Full-time
Location: Calgary, AB (other locations will be considered)
Tentative Start Date: Immediately
Job Closing: Open until filled
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- RRSP (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
- Life insurance, Long Term Disability and AD&D
The successful candidate will be responsible for helping coordinating and managing wildlife studies throughout Canada, in a variety of sectors, including pre-construction surveys and post-construction monitoring.
- Our biologists work individually, as well as with a team of natural resource specialists, scientists, and biometricians to:
- Design and propose biological field and desktop studies to meet scientific objectives
- Conduct/assist with day to day administration of projects
- Train field technicians
- Setup field studies
- Prepare reports
- Prepare proposals
- Provide quality assurance of data
- Supervise, direct, and coordinate field studies
- Summarizing and entering data
- Promote WEST’s core values of quality client service and a collaborative team approach while maintaining a positive and respectful work atmosphere
These positions consist of fieldwork and office work. Fieldwork will require long days (8-12 hours), in a range of temperature extremes and wind speeds. Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of rural environments (e.g., driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, mud, snow, extreme heat, cold, working around cattle). Fieldwork can also occur in remote locations, which will require candidates to be comfortable and able to work and operate vehicles in rugged, steep terrain within areas with large carnivores. Lastly, fieldwork often occurs in areas with little to no cellphone signal. Candidates must be comfortable using satellite and radio devices for regular communication.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all duties, which may be associated with this position.
The Biologists we are seeking have a great opportunity to help WEST take the next step in our growth as a premier environmental consulting firm. Successful candidate(s) must be self-starters who possess:
- Legally allowed to work in Canada
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, or equivalent.
- Avian ecology is the primary areas of technical expertise sought, but experience in bat ecology or with other wildlife taxa will also be considered
- Previous experience in environmental consulting is strongly desired, though alternative professional experience that includes scientific project management, budgeting, proposal writing and scientific report writing will be considered
- A strong track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients, or stakeholders
- Wildlife biology technical knowledge
- Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Good time management, project management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive assessment
- Ability to effectively supervise others
Successful candidates must be able to provide a driver’s abstract that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. Successful candidates must also be able to pass periodic drug and alcohol test that meets the minimum criteria of WEST and our clients. Candidates must be capable of adhering to all health and safety requirements, outlined by WEST and our clients, for the duration of their employment.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical disability, marital status, family status, source of income, and sexual orientation and any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.