Whooping Crane Outreach Program Assistant Alabama LTE
September 2018-early March 2019
The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is looking for a community oriented team member to provide outreach on conservation efforts for the endangered Whooping Crane in Alabama. The position is a limited-term employment opportunity beginning with a one month training session in Baraboo, WI. After this initial learning session, the Program Assistant will be leading efforts in Alabama (based in Decatur, Alabama) to educate residents on the conservation efforts used to protect Whooping Cranes.
Over the past 40 years, ICF has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways, habitats and ecosystems on which they depend. This program assistant will administer an important education and outreach program in an area where these endangered birds winter and have historically faced not only habitat based challenges, but increasing threats from illegal and accidental hunting
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our ICF team is committed to fulfilling the dream that started 40+ years ago. This position is open to all, but preferably, those who want to further their knowledge of conservation of endangered cranes. Does that sound like you?
The Whooping Crane Outreach Assistant supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation by engaging individuals and conservation partners willing to assist with the awareness and protection of Whooping Cranes. The Assistant will work with individuals and groups to develop awareness and caring for Whooping Cranes and develop their commitment to safeguard Whooping Cranes in their areas. The primary area of emphasis will be communities in the state of Alabama. The Assistant will form appropriate partnerships that include involving hunters, landowners and other citizens in monitoring and keeping “watch” over the Whooping Cranes in their areas.
The primary duty of the Whooping Crane Outreach Assistant will be to conduct the Whooping Crane awareness program in Alabama and surrounding states. For the majority of this position, the Assistant will be supervised remotely—the supervisor will be based in Wisconsin, and the Assistant will be based in Decatur, Alabama. The supervisor will travel to Alabama at least several times to check in and assist with outreach programs. The Outreach Assistant will gain valuable hands-on experience working with the ICF Conservation Education Department and will:
· Receive training on delivering Whooping Crane programs to all age groups at our facility in Baraboo, Wisconsin for the first month of the position. Develop and lead daily interpretive tours at ICF for visiting schools, community organizations, private groups, and the general public while stationed in Wisconsin.
· Educate and inspire people of all ages and walks of life by providing Whooping Crane education and outreach programs in Alabama, including visits to public and private schools, homeschool groups, civic organizations, hunting groups, gun clubs, birding groups and other organizations. Much of this work will take place in Linton, Alabama and the surrounding county, but will also require travel to other parts of Alabama, including Decatur, Madison, Huntsville, Priceville, Birmingham, and other parts of the state.
· Coordinate ICF’s Whooping Crane education trunk program for the state of Alabama. This will include keeping track of inventory, training educators on the use of the trunk in K-12 classrooms, conducting classroom visits, delivering programs with the crane trunk to schools, promoting the use of the trunks in classrooms throughout Alabama, and assessing the impact of the program.
· Assist ICF staff with outreach efforts to raise awareness about Whooping Cranes in Alabama. This could include media interviews, organizing awareness events and fundraisers and other duties as needed.
· Work with hunters through hunter education classroom and online courses to raise awareness about Whooping Cranes.
· Educate and inspire people of all ages and walks of life about the world’s 15 crane species and the ecosystems on which they depend at our headquarters in Baraboo during training.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a biological field, communications, sociology, or other relevant field preferred.
· Valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
· Access to a vehicle for travel
· Work as a constructive member of a team, and commitment to the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
· Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity.
· Background relating to wildlife conservation, education, or biology preferred
· Experience working with volunteers to achieve desired results; delegate work; train and encourage skill development; access and provide feedback on individual performance.
· Exceptional customer service, proficient public speaking skills and the ability to teach diverse audiences in a non-formal setting.
· Demonstrated a strong interest/background in the fields of interpretation, environmental education, conservation biology, ornithology, education, graphic design, film/documentary production, or other related fields.
physical abilities and work environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to use hands and fingers to type.
· Ability to lift or move up to 25 pounds; occasionally reaching, stooping and kneeling.
· Ability to walk and sit for reasonable periods of time.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to work outdoors in a variety of mostly moderate weather conditions.
For more information, please visit our website at www.savingcranes.org
ICF offers a competitive salary.
To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please list subject: Alabama
ICF is an Equal Opportunity Employer