Whooping Crane Outreach Coordinator - Texas
The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is looking for a conservation minded outreach coordinator to advance our conservation efforts directed at the endangered Aransas-Wood Buffalo population of Whooping Cranes while they are in Texas. The position is a full-time, located near Aransas, and includes competitive salary and benefits.
Over the past 40 years, ICF has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways, habitats and ecosystems on which they depend. This Outreach Coordinator will work with the Senior Whooping Crane Scientist and Ecosystem Scientist on projects designed to increase awareness, appreciation and taking actions to achieve ICF’s Whooping Crane conservation initiatives in Texas.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our ICF team is committed to fulfilling the dream that started 40+ years ago. This position is open to all, but preferably, those who want to further their knowledge of conservation of endangered cranes. Does that sound like you?
The Whooping Crane Outreach Coordinator supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation by providing the leadership of initiatives necessary to preserve and grow the Aransas/Wood Buffalo population of Whooping Cranes.
essential duties and responsibilities:
· Coordinate with ICF marketing and communications team to develop and coordinate awareness initiatives and outreach materials specific to the Texas Program, and evaluate their impact.
· Build partnerships and support for the Texas Program.
· Communicate information about Whooping Cranes and why their protection is important by coordinating and conducting presentation events to partner organizations, hunting groups, birding/conservation clubs, educators, and to local communities.
· Identify regional education/outreach programs where the inclusion of Whooping Crane conservation information can be incorporated and provide appropriate materials for their use. Integrate ICF outreach activities in outdoor events in the Texas Coastal Bend area with other ongoing programs.
· Coordinate with partner organizations to organize citizen science training events, track volunteer hours and collected data, and maintain regular communication with volunteers.
· Work collaboratively with the ICF Senior Whooping Crane Scientist and Ecosystem Scientist in developing materials on land and water conservation strategies for stakeholder workshops. Develop materials to be sent to local newspapers to increase awareness of Whooping Cranes. These may include but are not limited to press releases, letters to editors, blog posts, and prepared interviews with reporters.
· Provide frequent updates on multiple social media platforms to inform the public of the current Whooping Crane research in Texas
· Responsible to develop annual work plans and budgets, producing monthly reports, and assist as requested to raise funding for the Texas Program initiatives. This will require attendance at local fundraising events and assist with developing multiple grant applications.
required experience and knowledge :
· Bachelor’s Degree in a biological field, communications, sociology, or other relevant field and preferably three years related experience.
· Demonstrated community leadership and ability to work with a diversity of stakeholders in communities.
· Demonstrated ability to facilitate meetings and coordinate the actions of diverse groups of stakeholders using both in-person and remote access approaches.
· Excellent verbal communication skills, including speaking clearly and persuasively to individuals and groups; listening effectively; responding well to questions from the public.
· Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to effectively draft correspondence and reports in a clear, concise, logical, and grammatically correct manner; and ability to vary writing style to meet the needs of the audience and media.
· Ability to develop new ideas or approaches to engage, educate, and inspire behavior change in community members.
· Ability to work well with others and manage a group of volunteers.
· Ability to travel daily throughout Texas Central Bend area. During travel, work outside of normal business hours will be required.
· Valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
· Experience and comfort using word processing, spreadsheet, and power point software (MS Office) and internet search engines.
· Ability to learn how to operate software programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.
· Attention to detail and thoroughness.
· Ability to quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work duties, processes, and technologies.
· Work as a constructive member of a team, and commitment to the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
· Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity.
· Experience working with volunteers to achieve desired results; delegate work; train and encourage skill development; access and provide feedback on individual performance.
· Experience and familiarity with Texas.
· Experience with cameras/photography.
· Experience working with youth audiences, educators and community leaders.
· Experience working with the media and/or reporters.
· Experience with grant writing or other forms of fund raising.
physical abilities and work environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
· Ability to use hands and fingers to type.
· Ability to talk and hear.
· Ability to reach, balance, crouch and kneel.
· Ability to sit, stand and walk for reasonable periods of time.
· Ability to lift 25 pounds.
· Ability to work outside a traditional office and in a variety of environments while traveling.
· Ability to work some weekends.
For more information, please visit our website at www.savingcranes.org
ICF offers a competitive salary.
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please list subject: Texas Outreach
ICF is an equal opportunity employer.