Title: Vice President for Advocacy & Threats Programs
Salary: Estimated at $150,000; Based on experience
American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is the only conservation group dedicated solely to the preservation of native wild birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. The organization addresses a wide range of bird conservation issues through habitat conservation strategies and advocacy.
ABC forms effective partnerships to further bird conservation goals and enhance understanding of and engagement in bird conservation issues. It seeks to unite bird and other conservation groups through initiatives like the Bird Conservation Alliance and other coalitions addressing pesticides, collisions, ill-placed wind turbines, and other threats to birds. ABC’s conservation advocacy programs advance its mission by informing and educating policymakers and resource managers about bird conservation needs and solutions. Additionally, the program influences government agencies and multilateral institutions on matters of policy, resource allocation, and international conventions.
The Vice President of Advocacy & Threats Programs (VP) will be a member of ABC’s senior team and will manage a team of ten people to help reduce threats to birds across the Americas.
- Manage a team of approximately ten staff and integrate this team with ABC’s regional teams and external partners with whom we work closely; ensure that grant deliverables are completed in a timely manner; understand and track departmental budgets.
- Develop a plan to address regional threats to birds in line with ABC strategy and work with ABC regional teams to deliver positive conservation outcomes.
- Communicate effectively internally, with partners, activists/members, and the media.
- Advocate ABC's policy positions effectively to a wide range of audiences.
- Regularly communicate updates and developments through periodic reporting mechanisms and appropriate internal and external communication channels.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of the federal regulatory and legislative process, as well as legal, legislative, regulatory, and policy developments affecting birds.
- Represent ABC at networking events and other meetings such as lobbyist groups, luncheons, presentations, and meetings with interest groups.
- Foster a cooperative, communicative, collaborative, and equitable organizational culture and structure that promotes teamwork and trust.
- Help to develop a national network of partners and correspondents.
- Collaborate with the ABC Development Team to support and participate in fundraising.
- Maintain flexibility to help out in other program areas if/when needed.
- Understanding of non-profit lobbying rules, C4 operations, and compliance issues.
- Experience managing and leading a team.
- Ability to write well and clearly.
- Understanding of how to work successfully with the media.
- A passion for and knowledge of birds and conservation.
- An understanding of basic legal tools for conservation such as NEPA, ESA, etc.
- Understanding of how to build and deliver an output-focused strategy across a team.
- Basic knowledge of budgeting and financial management.
- Willingness to travel regularly, including to ABC’s offices in Washington, DC.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.; U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Background screening required
- Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and employer-matched retirement savings, flexible schedule, etc.
- Paid vacation days (starting at 15 days annually and increasing to 20 days after 1 year of employment), paid holidays (including both US holidays and additional ABC holidays) and sick leave.
- Lodging, meals, and transportation covered for work-related travel away from home.
- Rental vehicle or personal mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Please apply on Paylocity.
If you have difficulties, please email your cover letter and resume to HR@abcbirds.org.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.