Program Assistant –Texas
The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is looking for a conservation minded program assistant to advance our conservation efforts directed at the endangered Aransas-Wood Buffalo population of Whooping Cranes while they’re in Texas. The position is a full-time located in Rockport, TX, and includes competitive salary and benefits.
Over the past 40 years, ICF has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways, habitats and ecosystems on which they depend. This program assistant will work closely with the Senior Whooping Crane Scientist on various field projects designed to improve ICF’s Whooping Crane conservation efforts.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our ICF team is committed to fulfilling the dream that started 40+ years ago. This position is open to all, but preferably, those who want to further their knowledge of conservation of endangered cranes. Does that sound like you?
The Whooping Crane Program Assistant supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation (ICF) by assisting with operations of the ongoing North American Whooping Crane field research projects in Texas.
essential Program Assistant duties and responsibilities:
program support for ICF Texas staff research needs:
· Electronically manage image data files (including data entry, batch processing, quality checks) collected from field cameras at numerous locations in the Whooping Crane wintering range.
· Assist with field work as needed including but not limited to collecting data from game cameras in remote locations, assisting with field surveys by land and boat, and assisting with habitat assessments.
· Compile summary results using tables, graphs, and text on numbers of cranes using each site by time, day and week.
· Complete and submit monthly activity reports on project activities, including summary data and data submitted by volunteers.
program support for ICF Texas staff Operational Needs:
· Ensure ICF vehicles and boat are well maintained through regular service by vendors. This includes but is not limited to vehicle and boat service, state registration, vehicle logs, etc.
· Assist with festivals and events including management of our mascot, HOPE as needed.
· Participate at speaking engagements and inform audiences about ICF, our mission, and more specifically our Texas Whooping Crane program.
· Conduct office administrative duties including but not limited to submitting reimbursement reports, paying monthly bills, coordinating office maintenance and ordering supplies, sorting mail, office phone messages, and e-mails, and clean up the office space as needed
· Coordinate travel and meeting arrangements for Texas staff.
· Commitment to the mission of the International Crane Foundation
required experience and knowledge:
· High School Diploma or equivalent: Bachelors preferred
· Knowledge of current administrative practices, procedures, and technologies.
· Experience utilizing the basic features of word processing software including formatting, tables, mail merge, and other word processing software skills required for this position (Word preferred).
· Experience utilizing the basic functions of spreadsheet software including inserting rows and columns; editing cells; cutting and pasting text; formatting text, numbers, and work sheets; sorting; printing; and utilizing other spreadsheet commands as required for this position (Excel 2010 preferred).
· Experience or ability to learn computer software such as ArcGIS.
· Ability to troubleshoot potential issues with software and hardware in the office.
· Experience organizing, prioritizing competing deadlines to achieve appropriate results, and completing work accurately and timely.
· Attentive to detail and thoroughness.
· Written communication skills, including the ability to effectively edit routine correspondence and reports in a clear, concise, logical, and effective manner while utilizing proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.
· Verbal communication skills, including communicating effectively and persuasively with individuals by listening effectively and answering questions effectively and appropriately.
· Must be comfortable working in remote environments and in inclement weather conditions. Previous experience working in the field preferred.
· Valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
· Work as a constructive member of a team, including the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
· Quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work duties, processes, and technologies.
· Be comfortable with speaking to large audiences.
physical abilities and work environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· ability to use hands and fingers to type, answer phone and make phone calls.
· Ability to talk and hear.
· Ability to reach, balance, crouch and kneel.
· Ability to sit, stand and walk for reasonable periods of time.
· Ability to lift 25 pounds.
· Ability to work in an office environment.
· Ability to work in a variety of outdoor environments.
· Ability to work some weekends
For more information, please visit our website at www.savingcranes.org
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please list subject: Texas Program Assistant
ICF is an equal opportunity employer