STRAW Restoration Field Technician (South Bay) at Point Blue Conservation Science
Location: Field sites located in Santa Clara and San Benito Counties, with occasional work in San Mateo, Santa Cruz, and Monterey Counties.
Duration: 7 months, with possibility of extension
Deadline to Apply: June 1, 2023
Position Type: Part-Time or Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Compensation and Benefits: $24 per hour. For Full Time Technicians, Point Blue provides a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid medical and dental for staff (75% for dependents), life insurance, long-term care, long and short-term disability, flexible spending accounts, and retirement plans as well as time off benefits.
About Point Blue:
Point Blue Conservation Science is a growing and internationally renowned non-profit with over 160 staff and scientists based in Petaluma, California. Founded in 1965 as Point Reyes Bird Observatory, our mission and programs have evolved over time to include a broad range of conservation activity, from restoration to environmental education to innovative work in the field of regenerative agriculture. We have a proven track record of scientific excellence.
We recognize that increasing racial, gender, cultural, and other diversity, equity, and inclusion factors at Point Blue and in our partnerships is essential for the success of our mission, vision, and strategy. We are actively engaging in a process to create lasting organizational change, and we seek applicants from all backgrounds to join our teams. We strongly encourage applications from people with backgrounds that are under-represented in the conservation community.
We are seeking an enthusiastic team member to assist in habitat restoration projects with Point Blue’s Students and Teachers Restoring A Watershed (STRAW) program. The STRAW Restoration Field Technician is an entry-level position that works closely with a team of Project Managers, Educators, Apprentices, and program staff to implement and maintain community-based ecological restoration projects. The Restoration Field Technician may lead the field work of other Restoration Field Technicians, Apprentices and Volunteers and will teach lessons and operate various equipment.
Essential Functions include but are not limited to:
Restoration Support: 85%
● Assist with planning and implementing restoration projects, including ordering and staging restoration supplies, preparing field sites, and communicating and coordinating with teachers and project partners.
● Participate in physically demanding field work such as working on steep hillsides, carrying restoration equipment such as shovels, rock bars, and supply bins, loading and unloading vehicles, etc.
● Assist with planning and coordinating restoration site maintenance during spring and summer, including assessing site requirements and plant health in the field, installing drip irrigation, weeding, and tracking and recording maintenance activities.
● Assist native plant nursery maintenance and operations in multiple locations, including but not limited to seed collection, processing, germination, propagation, and integrated pest management.
● Drive vehicles owned by Point Blue (e.g., trucks, tow trailers, all-terrain vehicles) from Point Blue office and/or storage facilities to project sites.
● Operate mechanical tools and equipment such as weed whackers and small engines.
● Mentor, supervise and provide technical direction to a crew of Apprentices, including leading field work and coordinating with Project Managers to plan daily tasks and supplies needed.
● Lead volunteers including school groups, conservation corps crews, and other volunteers in the field in community restoration activities, including demonstrating proper planting and tool techniques, while ensuring the safety of all participants and a high quality of work.
Education Support: 10%
● Attend and help lead Restoration Days with students, adult chaperones, and teachers throughout the Bay Area and occasionally the Northern Sierra region (Chester, CA).
● Assist with planning and logistics for teacher training events including the annual Watershed Week.
Other Duties as Assigned: 5%
● Perform other duties, projects and research as assigned.
● Attend restoration-related synergistic meetings and build relationships with local project partnerships and support restoration education and efforts regionally.
● Any combination of education, experience and training that is equivalent to a minimum of 1-2 years of experience including, but not limited to:
Natural resource management, habitat restoration, natural sciences, horticulture, biology, ecology, restoration, botany, agronomy, agriculture, wildlife management, small engine repair, mechanics, engineering, hydrology, irrigation, landscaping, traditional ecological knowledge, or related work.
● Valid US driver’s license (4 year minimum) with favorable driving history to drive company owned vehicles.
● Approved background check and fingerprinting to work with students.
● Enthusiasm for ecological restoration work, including physically demanding field work.
● Enthusiasm for teaching and engaging with K-12 students and other public audiences.
● Familiar with Microsoft Office and Google Suite, including spreadsheets, word processing, and email applications.
● Communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
● The position is based out of Point Blue facilities located in Petaluma, California.
● This position operates at remote field locations with uneven terrain, limited vehicle access, limited cell phone reception, and sometimes in a solitary capacity. Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions such as rain, heat, wind, and cold temperatures.
● Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, and perform other physical activities.
● Ability to move up to 40 pounds and complete strenuous physical tasks.
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work, and Travel:
● This position may be part time or full time.
● The schedule will vary according to the season but generally it is 8 hours per day, Monday - Friday, with some overtime possible.
● Occasional travel and overnight stays may be required for this position. Advanced notice will be given.
To Apply: Please fill out this form. If you encounter difficulty with the application process, please send an email to email@example.com with “STRAW South Bay” in the subject line.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.