Description of Duties – The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is seeking a dedicated biologist with a strong background in shorebird and seabird (shorebird) conservation to serve as a Regional Shorebird Biologist for a 12-county region of southwest Florida. The primary responsibility of this position is overseeing the implementation of shorebird and seabird conservation actions locally, regionally, and in some cases, statewide. The candidate will:
· Work with local governments, landowners, and resource managers to improve conservation of shorebirds (habitat management, habitat creation, predator management, posting) through outreach, technical assistance, recognition, etc.
· Remotely supervise shorebird predation management and Critical Wildlife Area program staff in the Southwest Region.
· Oversee the implementation of regional shorebird predation management including prioritization and contracting predator control agents.
· Work with Florida Shorebird Alliance partners to ensure high-priority sites are posted. Fill in monitoring gaps as needed.
· Monitor the Florida Shorebird Database during nesting season and communicate issues/deficiencies to the Data Quality Manager.
· Work with partners to problem-solve controversial regional issues, especially those with potential regulatory consequences (fireworks, beach driving, local landowners protesting posting of nesting areas).
· Improve the effectiveness of law enforcement efforts by developing and delivering annual training to law enforcement staff, as well as implementing the Critical Wildlife Area and Shorebird Patrol Protocol.
· Engage in coastal engineering permitting issues, permit reviews, developing guidelines & conditions, improving permit compliance, and participating in relevant environmental commenting.
· Provide scientific support and aid in implementation of statewide conservation initiatives such as the Florida Beaches Habitat Conservation Plan.
· Assist with the development of Biological Status Reviews and otherwise assist with the imperiled species listing process.
· Implement habitat management, creation, and restoration projects.
· Assist with shorebird research and survey projects.
· Be an active participant in regional partnership meetings and, where there is a leadership gap, serve as lead or co-lead.
· Participate in regional/national conservation efforts, partnerships, flyway-wide efforts.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities – B.S. degree in wildlife or related natural resource management plus extensive professional experience is necessary, M.S. is strongly preferred; a minimum of 3 years work in wildlife conservation or similar field; shorebird/seabird field and technical expertise; strong data management skills; strong written and communication skills; strong understanding of policy; people-oriented, outgoing personality, highly diplomatic, enjoys engaging with partners and stakeholders; independent and self-directed; prefer candidates proficient in boating, trailer hauling, and ATV operation.
1920 hours/year - $23.20/hour – OPS Southwest Regional Shorebird Biological Scientist IV
Region – Southwest
Title – OPS Southwest Regional Shorebird Biological Scientist IV
Working Title – Southwest Regional Shorebird Biologist
County – Polk
Working Hours – 8-5 Eastern Standard Time
List of Subordinates Supervised – 2 OPS Staff: 1 Shorebird Predation Management Biologist, 1 CWA Biologist
Residency Requirement – None
Level of Education – B.S., bachelor’s in wildlife biology or similar wildlife related area
OPS Employment: This is an OPS (Other Personnel Services) position which means that employees are paid for the number of hours they work. OPS employees do not receive any form of paid leave, paid holidays, or participation in the Florida Retirement System. OPS employees do have the option to receive health insurance benefits.
NOTE: Interested applicants should submit an application to the People First Vacancy Position #77902335. A cover letter describing the applicant’s experience, CV or resume, and three professional references should be submitted with the application. https://jobs.myflorida.com/job/LAKELAND-OPS-F-&-W-BS-IV-77902335-FL-33811/612843300/