Title: Science Director
FLSA Status: Full Time/Exempt/Salary
Reports to: Chief Conservation Officer
Direct Reports: Program Manager, Deputy Science Director, Special Species Lead, Biometry Lead, Landscape Ecologist
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Benefits: Eligible – paid time off, Simple IRA w/match, medical, dental & vision insurance
Purpose: Manages the Science Team including budgeting, hiring, partnering with other organizations, and setting team priorities that align with the organization’s strategic plan. Member of the BCR Leadership team.
About the Organization: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies (BCR) is a 501-c(3) non-profit headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. BCR conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education and Stewardship. Our work radiates from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond. We are innovative leaders in bird monitoring, research and stewardship. We support a dedicated team of scientists, educators and biologists. We have an annual budget of over $5 million, which is primarily from federal/state grants and agreements. The organization celebrated 30 years of conservation and education efforts in 2018.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the Science Team via supervision, coaching and mentoring of staff, hiring staff and coordination of the work of the team including: timely completion of project deliverables, tracking budgets, reviewing proposals, reports, and manuscripts
- Sustain and build external partnerships to accomplish the mission of Bird Conservancy through local, regional and national bird conservation meetings; serve on boards and committees as identified by the CCO.
- Build support for Science Team initiatives by developing and maintaining a public-private funding portfolio to support science work.
- Serve on the BCR Leadership Team, assists with setting strategic direction for the organization, helps create unified voice and positive working culture, incorporates relevant leadership meeting outcomes into Science Team activities and meetings. Works for cross team collaboration via regular communications and interactions on strategy, proposals, partner development, etc.
- Stay current with innovative monitoring and analysis techniques and conservation science
- Ensures Science Team works with Development Team and Communications Manager to support outreach events and needs, development events and activities and provides regular updates to Communications Manager regarding outcomes of work
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
- Master’s degree in biological sciences, natural resources management or related disciplines,
- 5+ years of progressive management experience, including for diverse teams of scientist-practitioners.
- Experience with avian research design, implementation, analysis, and report writing
- Strong understanding of scientific principles and ability to evaluate credibility of research and monitoring techniques
- Knowledge of avian natural history and ecology in the Rockies/Great Plains
- An understanding of data management and user access as it relates to partners’ needs for dissemination of scientific knowledge, guiding conservation action and land management decisions
- Exposure to Citizen Science as a means to engage others in our mission
- Knowledge of grant funded programs and experience managing grant based research
- Ability to work in and build broad partnerships
- Strategic-thinking with ability to foresee needs, opportunities, pitfalls and directions of new growth
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple deadlines and stay within budget
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal along with excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings, weekends, overnights
- Willingness to travel locally, regionally and potentially internationally
- Willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and be hands on
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Conditions of Employment:
- Upon hire, must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License with the ability to independently travel.
- Able to successfully complete a pre‐employment background check as part of the selection process.
Please send cover letter and resume with three professional reference listed to email@example.com with the subject line Science Director. This posting will remain open until filled with applications reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Please note relocation funds are not available for this position.