Position Title: Sanctuary Keeper
Cooperating effectively with staff and volunteers, a Sanctuary Keeper is responsible for working in a variety of roles, with the goal of providing support to multiple areas of World Bird Sanctuary operations. A Keeper has a varied skill set, including the ability to conduct animal training sessions, especially with birds and particularly with raptors, as well as be able to execute construction maintenance operations and landscaping projects. This range of responsibility may include an array of tasks from general care and daily husbandry of animals, food preparation and record keeping, animal training and enrichment activities, organizing storage areas for food and equipment, managing pickups of food and material supplies, and general upkeep and maintenance of enclosures and/or site grounds, animal housing and WBS facilities. Additionally, a Keeper is responsible for interacting professionally with guests of World Bird Sanctuary, answering their questions, and helping to enable a positive experience for visitors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working primarily at the sanctuary’s Display Line / Exhibit Trail, and periodically rotating to the sanctuary’s Lower Site, a Keeper reports to the Assistant Director, and completes assignments and follows project and shift schedules set by the Animal Curator.
- Food preparation and cleaning of animal housing units are among the most important daily tasks of a Keeper. Following policies set by the Animal Curator, a Keeper is required to maintain accurate records that track all manner of husbandry activities.
- Following the policies and training plans set by the Curator of Bird Training, a Keeper is expected to conduct daily training activities that ensure the best health and wellbeing of sanctuary animals.
- Following maintenance plans set by the Assistant Director, a Keeper is expected to maintain site horticulture and landscaping features, including planting, watering, and maintaining the health of a variety of Missouri native trees, shrubs, flowers, and grasses.
- A Keeper is expected to cooperate with other rotating staff to ensure coordinated completion of both animal training and site maintenance related projects, as well as assist with, and at times manage, various group volunteer projects.
- A Keeper will provide supportive services for WBS operations, such as trash and recycling collection, maintenance and upkeep of enclosures and grounds, including site trails, and snow/ice removal, as well as at times traveling in WBS vehicles to make pickups of food and material supplies.
- A Keeper will provide assistance with setup and breakdown for WBS special events, and assist with parking management and guest services on those days.
- Other assignments as needed.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related field.
- At least 3 years of professional experience with animal husbandry and training, particularly with birds and especially with raptors.
- Must be able to safely and efficiently use a variety of hand and machine tools to complete construction maintenance projects. Knowledge of basic carpentry skills strongly preferred, with basic knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an enthusiastic willingness to positively interact with the public.
- Must have a strong appreciation for wildlife and the environment.
- Must possess the ability to function in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work independently, and as part of a team, to achieve positive results.
- Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods of time, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs, and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able and willing to actively work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license required to operate World Bird Sanctuary vehicles.
- Proof of current Tetanus shot.
How to Apply:
E-mail cover letter, resume and references to Kelsey McCord at firstname.lastname@example.org
World Bird Sanctuary is an equal-opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.