Restoration Technician (Novato Baylands) at Point Blue Conservation Science
Location: Novato, California
Deadline to Apply: June 1st, 2023
Position Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Compensation and Benefits:
$24 per hour. Point Blue provides a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid medical and dental for staff and 75% for dependents. Other benefits include life insurance, long-term care, long and short-term disability, flexible spending accounts, and retirement plans as well as time off benefits.
About Point Blue:
Point Blue Conservation Science is a growing and internationally renowned non-profit with over 160 staff and scientists based in Petaluma, California. Founded in 1965 as Point Reyes Bird Observatory, our mission and programs have evolved over time to include a broad range of conservation activity, from restoration to environmental education to innovative work in the field of regenerative agriculture. We have a proven track record of scientific excellence.
We recognize that increasing racial, gender, cultural, and other diversity, equity, and inclusion factors at Point Blue and in our partnerships is essential for the success of our mission, vision, and strategy. We are actively engaging in a process to create lasting organizational change, and we seek applicants from all backgrounds to join our teams. We strongly encourage applications from people with backgrounds that are under-represented in the conservation community.
We are seeking an enthusiastic team member to join our Novato Baylands team! The Restoration Technician will work closely with Novato Baylands staff, volunteers, educators, apprentices, and program staff to implement and maintain community-based ecological restoration projects. They may also supervise the field work of apprentices and volunteers and will teach lessons and operate various equipment.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to:
Restoration Support: 85%
● Assist project managers with planning and implementing restoration and non-native plans management, including ordering and staging restoration supplies, preparing field sites, and communicating and coordinating with teachers and project partners.
● Participate in physically demanding field work such as working on steep hillsides, carrying restoration equipment such as shovels, rock bars, and supply bins, loading and unloading vehicles, etc.
● Assist with planning and coordinating restoration site maintenance during spring and summer, including assessing site requirements and plant health in the field, installing drip irrigation, weeding, tracking, and recording maintenance activities.
● Assist native plant nursery maintenance and operations including but not limited to seed collection, processing, germination, propagation, and integrated pest management.
● Follow best management practices for nursery propagation and field operations to prevent and test for phytophthora.
● Drive vehicles owned by Point Blue (e.g., trucks, tow-trailers, all-terrain vehicles) from Point Blue office and/or storage facilities to project sites.
● Operate mechanical tools and equipment such as weed whackers, small engines, UTV, and Bobcat.
● Track details, like restoration supplies and tools, maintain accurate logs, including data collection and entry, photo-monitoring, and report writing.
● Mentor and provide technical direction to apprentices, including leading field work and coordinating with Project Managers to plan daily tasks and supplies needed.
● Lead volunteers including school groups, conservation corps crews, and other volunteers in the field in community restoration activities, including demonstrating proper planting and tool techniques, while ensuring the safety of all participants and a high quality of work.
Education Support: 10%
● Attend and help lead Restoration Days with students, adult chaperones, and teachers throughout the Bay Area.
● Help lead pre-restoration lessons in the classroom to prepare students and teachers for Restoration Days.
● Build relationships with STRAW teachers, aid them with resources, ideas, and check-ins.
● Assist with planning and logistics for teacher training events including Watershed Week.
Other Duties as Assigned: 5%
● Perform other duties, projects and research as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
● Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to a minimum of 1-2 years of experience including, but not limited to:
o natural resource management, habitat restoration, natural sciences, horticulture, biology, ecology, restoration, botany, agronomy, agriculture, wildlife management, small engine repair, mechanics, engineering, hydrology, irrigation, landscaping, traditional ecological knowledge, or related work.
● Valid US driver’s license (4 year minimum) and favorable driving history to drive company owned vehicles.
● Must meet school district requirements to work with school children including approved background check and fingerprinting.
● Enthusiasm for ecological restoration work, including physically demanding field work.
● Enthusiasm for teaching and engaging with K-12 students and other public audiences.
● Familiar with Microsoft Office and Google Suite, including spreadsheets, word processing, and email applications.
● Communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities.
● Bilingual capability in English-Spanish is desirable.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
● This position is based out of facilities located in Novato, California
● This position operates remote field locations with uneven terrain, limited vehicle access, limited cell phone receptions, and sometimes in a solitary capacity.
● Must be able to work in all weather conditions such as rain, heat, wind, and cold temperatures.
● Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, and perform other physical activities.
● Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and complete strenuous physical tasks.
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work, and Travel:
● This position is full time.
● The schedule will vary according to the season, but generally 8 hours per day, Monday – Friday, with some overtime possible.
● Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
● Occasional travel and overnight stays may be required for this position. Advanced notice will be given.
To Apply: Please fill out this form. If you encounter difficulty with the application process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Novato Baylands Restoration Technician” in the subject line.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.