Title: Research Scientist
Position Class: Research Scientist
FLSA Status: Full Time / Exempt / Salaried
Reports to: Biometry Lead
Direct Reports: None
Location: Fort Collins
Salary: $60-65K commensurate with experience
Benefits: This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package (paid time off, 403b retirement plan, health, dental, and vision insurance)
Start Date: March 2021
Position Overview: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is hiring a dynamic Research Scientist with a background in population and quantitative ecology. The scientist will be expected to develop a cutting-edge independent research program that leverages our diverse long-term data sets to inform conservation. Applicants are expected to have a strong background and skill set in quantitative ecology using Bayesian approaches. Experience with integrated population modeling, N-mixture models, multi-species occupancy, and data integration is highly desired. The Research Scientist will be part of our integrative science program (15 scientists and ecologists) directly supervised by our lead Biometrician and under the oversight of the Research Director and Chief Conservation Scientist. This position is currently funded for two years with extensions available based on performance and available funding. The scientist will be based in our Fort Collins office.
About the Organization: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is a 501-c(3) non-profit headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education, and Stewardship. Our work radiates from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Leverage monitoring and demographic data to inform conservation delivery using quantitative approaches including integrated population models, N-mixture models, multispecies occupancy and spatiotemporal analyses
· Collaborate with internal and external scientists to develop, fund, and implement conservation research projects from design, to analysis and publication
· Communicate results to diverse stakeholders through reports, manuscripts and conference presentations
· Build collaborative partnerships within the Science Team to strategically grow the research program at Bird Conservancy
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
· PhD in quantitative, population, or wildlife ecology with a strong statistical background
· Post-doctoral experience preferred (~2 years post PhD)
· Experience with Bayesian statistical approaches
· Experience with Integrated Population Models, Data Integration, Abundance, and Occupancy Models
· Experience with spatial analyses using either ArcGIS and/or Program R platforms
· Strong R programming skills including JAGs and WinBUGS
· Proficiency in habitat relationship and landscape modeling
· Familiarity with remote sensing methods and data sources for North America
· Strong written and verbal communication skills with a track record of high-impact peer-reviewed publications
· General knowledge avian ecology including sampling and design
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to work in a standard office setting, with considerable sitting, standing and viewing of computer
· Mid-level stress
· Requires reaching continually throughout the workday (mouse, keyboard, telephone)
· May include lifting up to thirty (30) pounds of project gear on an infrequent basis- proper lifting techniques required
· Able to stand, walk, and hike for extended periods of time outside in all weather
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and contacts for three references in ONE document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Scientist” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until January 29, 2021.
Edited by maureen.correll