GS-12 (promotion potential to GS-15)
Open to U.S. citizens and U.S. nationals
Agency contact information: Monica Lacey (LaceyM@si.edu)
As a Research Ecologist at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute’s Migratory Bird Center, your specific duties will include:
- Designing and implementing basic and applied ecological studies of birds in coffee and other agroforestry systems and analyzing datasets collected from this work.
- Developing and supporting collaborative scientific research projects as part of the Smithsonian’s Bird Friendly agroforestry programs.
- Publishing the results of scholarly research in the peer-reviewed literature.
- Obtaining competitive research funding as a principal investigator.
- Providing scientific service to the Smithsonian Institution and the broader scholarly community, particularly expert information and advice on technical matters about ecological crop certification standards and the ecology and conservation of birds in agroforestry systems.
- Maintaining professional competence through continuing education, membership in professional societies, attendance at conferences and seminars, and keeping abreast of current publications in relevant ecological and agroforestry disciplines.
- Mentoring graduate students and postdocs, and providing professional training and outreach in the ecology and conservation of birds in agroforestry systems.