RESEARCH BIOLOGIST position (full time, permanent) available at the Southern Sierra Research Station (SSRS), a small non-profit dedicated to conserving biodiversity through research. SSRS is located in the Southern Sierra Nevada (Kern Co., CA). Much of our research is focused on understanding the factors that influence population dynamics of birds, but we occasionally work on other topics and with other taxa. See http://www.southernsierraresearch.org for further details. Field work is primarily conducted in Southern CA and possibly Latin America.
Duties include, but are not limited to (in order of priority); (1) Assisting with the management of seasonal staff and coordinating concurrent projects underneath the administrative umbrella of SSRS, (2) Analysis and compilation of datasets using up-to-date and widely-accepted statistical methods and programs, (3) designing and conducting independent research within the annual scheduling dictated by the summer field season and grant writing/data analysis and report submission for the remaining months of the year, (4) assisting with the maintenance and upkeep of the field station. Position is approximately 65% research/data analysis and 35% administrative/supervisory.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE: The successful candidate will have most or all of the following attributes:
- M.S. or higher in Biology, Ecology, or a related field with a strong statistical background.
- Experience with Excel, GIS, R and current statistical methodology.
- A demonstrated history of excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills
- The ability to compile reports, grants and produce manuscripts.
- The ability to be able to work on several concurrent projects with different people and partners within and out-with the organization and demonstrate a strong professional and scientific work ethic at all times.
- Field techniques for studying birds including conducting multi- and single-species bird surveys, nest searching, banding, behavioral observations, telemetry, attaching transmitters, and building Motus stations. We are particularly interested in candidates with previous Motus experience for this position.
- Experience supervising field crews.
- Be physically fit for field work during the field season.
- Knowledge of Spanish and experience traveling in Latin America is a bonus, but not necessary.
COMPENSATION: This is a permanent staff position starting at $38,000 - $41,000/yr (depending on experience) including a generous benefit package.
START DATE AND HIRING SCHEDULE: Employment will begin in late summer 2021. Application review will begin immediately and the position will be filled as soon as possible.
TO APPLY: Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three references (name, phone number, and e-mail address) in a single file to Mary Whitfield at the following email address: email@example.com. Please include your name in the file name of your attachment (e.g. Darwin_C_application). SSRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.