Established in 1979, Wildlife Rescue Association of BC is a leader in the rehabilitation of wild animals in the urban environment and is committed to educating the public on how to coexist peacefully with urban wildlife. We are Canada’s busiest wildlife rehabilitation centre, now with over 5,000 animal ‘clients’ a year.
Located in Burnaby BC, we are a well-established environmental charity that offers its employees:
- A flexible work environment with room to innovate
- Robust employee benefit package
- Passionate and committed colleagues
- Opportunities to learn and develop professional skills involving wildlife
We have an exciting opportunity for a Registered Veterinary Technologist (RVT) to join us and help develop and inspire our team. This regular, full-time position is a lead performer in the organization. They will perform intake exams, medications, treatment plans, daily animal care duties and assist in the daily operations of our Wildlife Hospital, which would include supporting our volunteer training efforts, supervising and developing team members where necessary.
Position: Registered Veterinary Technologist (Wildlife Technician)
Wage: $18 - 22/hr
Closing date: August 15th, 2021
We want to hear from you if you have the following essential qualifications:
- Registered Veterinary Technologist certification (or equivalent and registered with BCVTA)
- high EQ, self-awareness and a drive to develop yourself and your colleagues
- ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- excellent verbal and written communications skills
- ability to take an active role in the daily supervision of volunteers, while providing them educational skills along with students
- strong technical and analytical skills
- excellent organization, task management and record-keeping skills
- ability to work flexible shifts, including weekends and statutory holidays (no overnight shifts)
Our ideal candidate may have some or all of the following qualifications:
- demonstrable experience in the rehabilitation of wildlife, including birds
- knowledge of native wildlife in BC, particularly the Lower Mainland region
- a university diploma/degree in biological sciences
- clinical and/or surgical experience
- experience of setting up standard operating procedures or protocols
- willing to help set up and design a new facility for wildlife
- willing to help continually improve standards and quality of wildlife care
- enjoy doing external research into the best methods of medical treatment available for wildlife
Why Should You Apply?
- You love wildlife and care about human impacts on them
- You would like to work in one of the busiest wildlife rehabilitation centres in Canada
- You appreciate and want to fully participate in a culture of respect, social intelligence, and appreciation among staff and volunteers
- You enjoy a collaborative and philanthropic work environment with highly dedicated and enthusiastic board members, staff and volunteers
- We offer a vacation, sick, extended medical and dental benefits (after a successful 90 day waiting period)
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience
Submit your cover letter and resume together in a single pdf file using our online form. Applications for more than one position at Wildlife Rescue are accepted.
As part of our hiring process, you are required to answer a few preliminary questions. Please click on the link below to complete the form. Once completed, hit the “Submit” button at the end of the form. All candidates are required to complete this form in order to move forward in the competition. Failure to do so will result in your application remaining incomplete.
Preliminary application questions: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/1507f2ab436d4e96b2b0d7a8989f6410
Please be advised that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews, but Wildlife Rescue would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest.