Position Overview: The Renewable Energy Wildlife Institute (REWI) seeks a Project Manager to join our team. The Project Manager will support REWI’s work in developing science, tools, and strategies for both wind and solar siting and operations that minimize impacts to wildlife and wildlife habitat. This position will work closely with REWI’s research and outreach staff to ensure the success of key projects. The Project Manager will ensure effective and efficient project implementation, including engagement with project partners and REWI stakeholders from the wind industry, conservation and science NGOs, consultants, academia, and federal and state agencies.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an expanding and solutions-oriented field – the dynamic intersection of renewable energy and wildlife conservation – with many of the nation’s top renewable energy producers and conservation and science leaders.
About REWI: REWI is an independent, nonprofit partnership of leaders in the renewable energy industry, wildlife management agencies, and science and conservation organizations who collaborate to identify and mitigate the impacts of renewables on wildlife and their habitats. REWI works closely with over 40 renewable industry and conservation partners and many other advisors to build scientific research, strategies and tools, and best practices for environmentally responsible wind energy and now solar energy siting and operations.
Collaboration and sound science are fundamental to REWI’s work, with the efforts of our small, energetic team multiplied by the insight, support, and oversight of our Board, Committees, task forces, project partners, reviewers, and contractors. REWI prioritizes a strategic and nimble approach, which allows us to remain a leader in developing solutions to pave the way for a sustainable, clean energy future where renewable energy and wildlife can both thrive. All team members engage in a variety of programs, projects, and activities, and a strong belief in our mission and dedication to our work is fundamental to all we do.
Key Responsibilities: The Project Manager’s responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Contributing to the development and implementation of REWI’s science-based projects and initiatives in coordination with REWI’s research team.
- Supporting the continued growth of REWI’s Renewable Energy and Wildlife Research Hub, working in close coordination with REWI’s AWWIC manager, REWI partners, and external collaborators.
- Supporting the development of concepts and proposals for new projects, including drafting proposals and budgets.
- Managing specific research projects, ensuring they are completed on time and within budget.
- Tracking project deadlines and milestones and preparing required internal and external reports.
- Tracking spending against project budgets and reviewing contractor invoices.
- Supporting the negotiation of and ensuring compliance with project-related scopes of work.
- Coordinating technical review by internal and external parties of study designs and products.
- Maintaining strong relationships and communications with all project partners, which may include technical teams, host sites, project funders, expert reviewers, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborating with outreach staff to plan and implement outreach on products arising from designated projects.
- Reviewing technical reports, feasibility studies, study plans, experimental designs, and other technical documents.
- Identifying potential and real risks to the success of projects’ budgets, schedules, and scopes, and coordinating with REWI staff and the project team for resolution of issues.
Qualifications: We are seeking applicants with the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of relevant work experience, including specific research and/or project management experience in wind and/or solar energy and wildlife; Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Experience in applying scientific research to public policy with government, academic, private, non-profit, or similar organizations
- Aptitude in statistical analysis and experimental design
- Strong working knowledge of project management methodologies, processes, and tools
- Experience managing projects with multiple partners, engaged funders, and well-defined milestones and timelines
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, including ability to clearly communicate scientific information to technical and general audiences
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage conflict and address challenging issues
- A collaborative team member who is proactive, flexible, and able to manage and prioritize a variety of tasks
- Ability to work independently and remotely without regular supervision
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with diverse groups including REWI team members, industry representatives, researchers, agency personnel, and consultants
- Willingness to travel
Location, Compensation, and Benefits: This is a remote position. Candidates must be based in the United States and have authorization to work in the U.S. Salary is commensurate with the experience and skills of a manager with 5 years of work experience. REWI offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package.
Applications: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples here: https://awwi.knack.com/jobs. Only complete applications will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone or written inquiries please.
REWI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). We strive to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in all elements of our work and with our partners. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion, and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.