Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 14 states, has an exciting, challenging and immediate opportunity for a full-time Project Manager/Biologist in our Bozeman, Montana office. WEST was founded in 1990 and over the last 30 years has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Generous paid leave
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Life insurance, LTD and AD&D
- SEP IRA
- Employee owned/Shareholder potential
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
Safe and happy working environment
Ideal candidates will have experience and expertise in wildlife study design, environmental consulting, managing junior biologists, and will be responsible for overseeing environmental projects throughout the region, including leading and organizing pre-construction surveys and post-construction mortality monitoring for renewable energy projects, linear projects, and other variable development projects. Our Project Managers work individually, as well as with a team of natural resource specialists, scientists and biometricians to:
- Conduct day to day administration of projects
- Train field supervisors and technicians
- Setup field studies
- Prepare reports
- Prepare proposals
- Provide quality assurance of data
- Supervise and direct field studies
- Promote health and safety
- Market WEST’s capabilities
- Foster current business relationships and promote new business development efforts
- This position will require overnight travel.
Location Bozeman, Montana. May also consider other regional WEST office locations.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The Project Manager / Biologist we are seeking has a great opportunity to help WEST take the next step in our growth as a full service environmental consulting firm. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent. A master’s degree in a wildlife-related field, as well as previous professional experience in environmental consulting are desired
- Avian and/or bat ecology are the target areas of technical expertise sought, but experience in wetland delineation, plant identification, or other areas of ecology potentially of interest to commercial clients will also be considered
- Experience with statistical analysis
- Understanding of the renewable energy market
- Previous project management experience (preferably 5+ years),including budgeting, and proposal writing experience, consulting work, professional scientific experience, and a track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders
- Wildlife biology technical knowledge and knowledge of regional wildlife
- Demonstrated ability to work on biological field studies, specifically targeting raptors and eagles
- Wetland delineation and Section 404 permitting is a plus
- Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Good time management, project management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Ability to effectively supervise others
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.