The Owl Research Institute is a small, field-based research group located in Charlo, Montana. We are one of the most active owl research groups in the world, and conduct long-term research and monitoring on many owl species throughout Montana and Alaska.
We are currently seeking an experienced field researcher to assist, and lead many of these projects. As a small non-profit organization, we all wear a lot of hats. The ideal candidate will have a strong background working in the field with owls; will be comfortable working alone or with groups, working outdoors at night; have good communication skills; have some mechanical abilities, i.e. truck, snowmobile or four-wheeler maintenance and repair; be comfortable working in all weather conditions; willing to work and engage with the public; and – above all – have a positive attitude and a strong work ethic. The candidate will work under the supervision of ORI’s Senior Researcher Denver Holt.
Starting pay is $40,000/year with a six-month probationary period.
• Master’s degree in wildlife biology, environmental science, ecology, or related field; or, ten years of proven field research experience.
• Detailed understanding of the scientific process
• Overall understanding of ecology, mammalogy, and ornithology
• Banding experience and related skills
• Strong skills using various software for data management, statistical analysis, graphing, modeling, etc.
• Strong professional writing skills. Please include a list of published works or professional papers, if applicable.
• Grant writing abilities.
• Applicant must be self-motivated and able to work alone at times; must have strong interpersonal skills and be comfortable working within a team and with the public.
• Must be flexible with scheduling, such as conducting night surveys.
• Applicant will need to submit a variety of reports and documentation related to permitting and/or grants in a timely and organized manner.
• Strong ability to coordinate volunteers across various projects and in different roles.
Please visit our social media accounts or website to learn more about our projects at www.owlresearchinstitute.org
Resume and cover letter to be submitted to both Denver Holt at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Liberty DeGrandpre at email@example.com.