Alabama Audubon’s Outreach & Communications Director oversees all aspects of the organization’s educational and outreach programming efforts, its public-relations work, and its public-facing communications. As a key member of our senior leadership team, this individual works in close consultation with the Executive Director to support and promote outreach and education programs, develop and implement new programs, and develop and refine our organization’s public-facing messaging and branding efforts.
The mission of Alabama Audubon is to promote conservation and a greater knowledge of birds, their habitats, and the natural world. Its goals include providing nature-based experiences, building connections between people and nature, and leading participants to take action to preserve birds, wildlife, and habitat. Alabama Audubon also conducts community science programs, monitors bird populations, works to restore native habitat, and offers ongoing programming at multiple venues for diverse audiences.
As a staffed chapter of the National Audubon Society with an active membership, Alabama Audubon serves a statewide leadership role with its programs, activities, and other initiatives.
Core Responsibilities of the Outreach & Communications Director:
- Overseeing all aspects of our Outreach & Communications Department, including the direct supervision of outreach staff;
- Developing, implementing, and promoting a menu of educational and outreach programming based on the Alabama Audubon mission statement;
- Recruiting, managing, and retaining a pool of committed volunteers for education and outreach efforts;
- Coordinating the organization’s outward-facing communications, including social media and direct-to-member emails; and
- Developing and maintaining Alabama Audubon’s brand identity across all of the organization’s media platforms.
- Understanding of and passion for the mission of Alabama Audubon;
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university or a
- combination of equivalent work and education-related experience;
- A positive, team-oriented attitude, with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with a wide range of personality types;
- Excellent organizational, time management, and written and verbal communication skills;
- Self-motivation with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work evenings and weekends and to travel as
- Experience with, or a willingness to learn more about, North American bird life;
- A proven record of public interaction that demonstrates media savvy and
- professionalism; and
- Ability to use standard office equipment; familiarity with macOS; proficiency in the Microsoft operating system and the Office suite of software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and in the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop; InDesign; Illustrator); and skill in managing a variety of digital media platforms (including use of Hootsuite). Proficiency using NEON and Trello software is desired but not required.
Include lifting, reaching, bending, pushing, pulling, sitting, typing, driving, speaking, and holding and supporting field equipment. Must be able to speak for extended periods of time. Must be able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions and on uneven terrain.
It is the policy of Alabama Audubon that all persons are entitled to equality of opportunity in all areas of employment regardless of race, sex, disability, age, national origin, religion, veteran status, genetic information, or other legally protected status.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume (in PDF format) to Melanie Seibold, Alabama Audubon Board President, at email@example.com, with the subject line: Outreach & Communications Director Search. References may be required upon request.
See the full announcement here: https://alaudubon.org/careers/