We are seeking a special person to help provide our clients with quality birding and nature observations, mainly on day walks and evening kiwi spotting trips.
You need to demonstrate empathy with a small business and excellent customer care. We need staff to be hardworking and team players.
Required for immediate start for training and working through to April / early May 2019. Preference given to applicants who can commit for a minimum 2 seasons to allow you to build up your expertise and knowledge and ensure our clients get the best service.
Stewart Island is a semi-remote location with a daily flight and ferry service and a number of amenities / facilities. There are about 400 permanent residents and over 35,000 visitors a year.
This is a fabulous opportunity for the right candidate, with a genuine interest in the outdoors, to experience a beautiful location and meet some wonderful people from around the world.
Our ideal candidate is / has:
- A good fit for a small, professional working environment
- Tertiary qualification in an appropriate outdoors field e.g. zoology, biology
- Good birdwatching skills and knowledge / experience of NZ birds or a quick learner
- Any guiding experience is an advantage
- Mature, responsible, honest and trustworthy
- Friendly and outgoing with strong customer service skills
- Good leadership and organisation skills
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken English
- Physically fit and healthy
- Good personal presentation
Key Task Include:
- Guiding our birdwatching and nature tours on Ulva Island and Stewart Island
- Guiding Evening Kiwi Spotting tours
- Driver / Guide on our Birding Road Tours
- Other opportunities may arise subject to skills / aptitude / abilities.
- Plan and prepare for trips
- Brief clients / answer questions
- Guiding clients
- Providing quality information and experiences
- Completing all necessary in-house paperwork accurately and on a timely basis.
Driver Guide on Scenic / Birding Road Tours
(This task is dependent on an NZ driver's license and passenger endorsement).
- Drive clients and provide quality information
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks helpful to the business.
- Help distribute brochures and market our business.
Employment Period and Hours of Work
- Immediate to April / Mid-May 2019
- Working hours will vary from minimum 30 hours a week.
Please apply if you:
- Are genuinely interested in this vacancy and location and able to move to Stewart Island.
- Meet our criteria
- Are planning to be in New Zealand and willing to a formal face to face interview in Stewart Island.
- Hold a valid NZ work visa
- Hold a current first aid certificate / willing to obtain
- Hold a clean drive’s licence (if possible an NZ driver's licence with a p-endorsement)
- Have no commitments that require extended leave during the period October to April / May.
If you require further information or wish to apply, contact us. Due to limited resources we are only able to respond to suitable candidates. Vacancy will close once a suitable candidate is found.