DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE
JOB TITLE: Marketing Project Specialist
DIVISION/SITE: Headquarters, Washington DC
DEPARTMENT: Integrated Marketing
REPORTS TO: VP, Integrated Marketing
LAST REVISED: October 2019
Defenders of Wildlife is a leading environmental non-profit organization, dedicated to the protection of all native animals and plants in their natural communities.
The Marketing Project Specialist will be responsible managing concurrent projects within the Integrated Marketing department from initiation through delivery, specifically managing schedules and overall project goals. Working directly with our Marketing and Marketing Operations teams this position is responsible for identifying and overseeing tasks to ensure deliverables and timelines are met and that all stakeholders are engaged to keep the project moving forward on schedule.
Projects will include tracking the growth and retention our monthly donor audience, with a potential to launch into new channels (such as canvassing), as well as overseeing the department’s strategies to increase constituent engagement by reaching broader audiences. The ideal candidate will have a background in project management and marketing and be comfortable learning and operationalizing new processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage projects within budget, specified timelines, and agreed upon strategy.
· Manage multiple projects at the same time with varying degrees of urgency, importance and input and be able to prioritize according to Defenders’ overall objectives and/or elevate concerns or conflicts.
· Gather strategic and technical requirements from stakeholders within the department including the Vice President of Integrated Marketing and the Senior Directors of Acquisition, Retention and Marketing Operations.
· Facilitate the development of project plans including scope, requirements, measures of success and benchmarks.
· Manage all vendors involved in the project, in coordination with other internal stakeholders, to set clear objectives and hold them accountable for program goals.
· Develop detailed project schedules and manage the day-to-day activities.
· Lead project team members to ensure on-time project deliverables.
· Lead and facilitate project team meetings.
· Communicate and report project status and milestones, elevating barriers and/or strategy changes where necessary.
· Identify gaps and recommend enhancements related to new and/or existing projects and workflows based on broad view of the department’s work.
· Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS)
· 4+ years project management experience
· PMP not required
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Confidence to “manage up” and serve as the project advocate among people in senior positions.
Ability to manage cross-functional projects and work well on multiple projects under pressure, prioritize and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment, and use tact and diplomacy in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
A strong interest in systems and best practices.
Willingness to learn new programs as Defenders’ objectives and markets evolve.
Demonstrated ability to set priorities and resolve problems.
Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with staff and vendors.
Integrated/multichannel marketing experience preferred.
Must be detail-oriented and willing to persevere with strong organizational skills.
Experience in copy editing and proofreading.
Knowledge of general conservation/environmental issues
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please apply with a cover letter highlighting project management experience through our indeed jobs portal at http://www.defenders.org/jobs
Defenders of Wildlife is a national, non-profit membership organization dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. Our employees work in an environment that is inclusive and honors each of our unique perspectives and backgrounds. We believe that the conservation of biological diversity is best advanced by the contributions of3 people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, beliefs and cultures. We strive toward a collective goal of including all people in the conservation of our Nation’s wildlife and wild places.
Visit Our Values and Diversity page to learn more about who we are and how we operate.
It is the policy of Defenders of Wildlife to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, or any other characteristic protected by law, in all personnel actions.