MacArthur Green specialises in ornithology, ecology, hydrology and peat services, focussing on renewable energy projects and grid networks. We pride ourselves on our technical capability and pragmatic, problem solving approach, and our fun and friendly team!
We need an enthusiastic and knowledgeable ornithologist to join us as a Schedule 1 Licenced Field Ornithologist.
We are proud to work for some of the largest renewable developers, such as Vattenfall, ScottishPower Renewables, Scottish and Southern Energy Renewables, EDF, BayWa, RES UK & Ireland and Statkraft, with projects onshore as well as offshore. We also work for statutory agencies such as The Crown Estate, the Scottish Government, NatureScot, Natural England and the UK Government.
The ideal candidate must hold a current or recent Schedule 1 licence from NatureScot and have a minimum of two years’ worth of relevant ornithology work experience monitoring Schedule 1 bird species. This role has the potential to progress to Consultant Ornithologist, if of interest, and whilst it will focus on field work, it will offer the potential some office work too for those who are keen.
You must have a passion for working outdoors in any weather, and will often be lone working, so you must be confident working independently. Bird survey work involves early starts some days, and late finishes at other times, so you need to be flexible and enjoy variety in your working week. Site locations may frequently require surveyors to stay away during the week – accommodation and subsistence expenses will be provided but staff must be flexible with their time.
You will have experience of, and will carry out the following surveys:
• Breeding raptor and other Schedule 1 species surveys (evidence of holding a current or recent Schedule 1 license must be provided);
• Flight activity surveys, breeding bird surveys, black grouse surveys;
• Other specialist ornithological surveys as required.
You may also assist with other types of surveys (training will be provided as necessary):
• Bat surveys;
• Water quality monitoring; and
• Peat depth and vegetation surveys.
University qualifications are not necessary, but you must be able to demonstrate field experience, with the following:
• Experience of undertaking ornithology surveys and recording data accurately;
• A current or recent Schedule 1 licence (from NatureScot);
• Experience monitoring Schedule 1 raptors, and other species in Scotland;
• Experience of working in remote outdoor environments (including navigation using compass and OS maps);
• Full UK driving license (manual driving essential, 4x4 experience ideal);
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• A flexible and proactive approach to work; and
• Self-motivated and keen to learn.
The following are not essential but would be beneficial to the role:
• A working knowledge of ornithological guidance, legislation and policy;
• An understanding of the environmental planning system in relation to ornithological impact assessments; and
• Strong IT skills including Word and Excel (experience of software such as ArcGIS/QGIS would be beneficial).
An attractive employment package is available with a competitive salary dependent on experience. Other benefits include 30 days holiday, performance bonus scheme and personal pension scheme (NEST). You must live within reasonable commuting distance of the Glasgow office in order to have access to the 4x4 and electric vehicles we provide to carry out survey work. Send your CV and covering letter, explaining (1) why you want to work for MacArthur Green and (2) how your experience to date can be applied to this role, to Sharon Stewart at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Wednesday 9th December 2022 at 12:00
No recruitment consultants please.
MacArthur Green is an equal opportunities employer.