HawkWatch International is hiring an Executive Director to lead the organization.
The next leader of this growing organization must have:
- Enthusiasm for conservation, birds of prey, and the HWI mission
- Experience with business management for non-profit or NGO with staff of +/- 25
- Science Foundation in raptor related biology and conservation, field sciences or academia
- Proven fund-raising capabilities
Appreciation for the HWI mission is essential, as is inspiring others and bringing a high level of energy to the work of development, education and field operations. The successful individual will lead staff and volunteers to grow HWI’s capacity scientifically, educationally, and financially into a nationally and globally recognized conservation organization. The next leader must execute the strategic vision while building upon a team culture of trust and shared core values.
Key for the successful candidate is experience leading and growing a similarly sized and focused organization. HWI Staff and Board are keen to continue recent growth and build upon the strong foundation of this 30+ year old organization. Staff and Board desire a leader that understands how to manage an organization, and has the energy to be involved in working towards a shared vision while creating independence by building trust.
This individual will ideally have a science background, preferably in raptor biology or closely linked experience in conservation, education, ecology, or ornithology. This role will lead an organization with a focus on raptor-oriented research and education. Experience in these areas is necessary in order to direct the work and successfully network with partners, stakeholders, the greater raptor community and the general public.
Long term growth is highly dependent on a leader with proven fund-raising capabilities, strong networking skills and a willingness to reach out to donors. The Executive Director is the spokesperson for the collective team and must be comfortable building relationships at multiple geographic scales. A key success factor will be experience with development strategies and an action-oriented focus to deliver. Opportunities to grow both nationally and internationally are substantial and necessitate a well-cultivated pipeline of major donors.
HawkWatch International is poised to dramatically increase its impact, creative approaches, partnerships, and overall reach. We are looking for an Executive Director who can envision the HWI of the future and is able to lead the charge to successfully realizing that vision.
- · Advanced degree in science, business administration, communications, or relevant field.
- · Knowledge and experience in environmental conservation, ecology, ornithology, and birding.
- · Proven experience as Executive Director or in a similar managerial position.
- · Significant experience in developing successful strategies and plans.
- · Proven success in fundraising and networking.
- · In-depth knowledge of nonprofit management, governance principles, and managerial best practices.
- · Familiarity and comfort with monthly financials and annual audits.
- · Aptitude for analytical thinking, capable of creative solutions to solve problems thoroughly and rapidly.
- · Impeccable organizational skills, leadership abilities and the skill of collaboration.
- · Exceptional oral and written communication abilities and public speaking skills.
- · Ability to work from Salt Lake City, Utah
Hours and Compensation
Full-time (exempt), salaried staff position. Starting salary of $65,000–$ 75,000 (depending on experience and education), with excellent benefits package, including medical, dental and matching retirement plan.
- Send cover letter, CV/resume and contact information (phone #) for 3 references to Paul Parker, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19, 2019
- Preferred start date: July 1, 2019
- We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. as we value a diverse and inclusive HawkWatch community. For more information on HawkWatch and our programs, visit www.hawkwatch.org.