Job Classification: Full time regular (40 hours week), salaried, exempt
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Events Assistant has duties primarily in the education branch of NJ Audubon and is expected to support efforts associated with the Organization’s three main events (World Series of Birding, Cape May Spring Festival and Cape May Fall Festival) as well as other programs and events scheduled to help the Organization meet its mission. The Events Assistant takes an active role in promoting NJ Audubon as a membership-based conservation organization.
· Work closely with Special Events Director to facilitate and maintain event registration for Cape May Spring and Fall Festivals.
· Build and oversee registration process using Cvent online registration software.
· Assist registrants with registration process, including responding to general questions about the area’s accommodations, dining options, weather and general conditions for birdwatching
· Communicate important information to registrants via emails, announcements and phone calls
· Communicate with certain vendors/partners associated with festivals and events
· Prepare for event by making and organizing nametags, printed materials and signage
· Assist in creation of Online Event Guide and develop expertise to assist registrants with its use
· Recruit, coordinate and communicate with volunteers who assist with the event preparation and execution
· Assist with requesting, documenting and recognizing donations to Silent Auction
· Manage Silent Auction website, including populating items and creating written descriptions
· Handle distribution/shipping of Silent Auction items to winning bidders
· Handle physical registration area, greeting guests, providing orientation and other assistance
· Assist with crowd control and flow
· Proofread materials, both for print and online publication
World Series of Birding
· Work closely with Special Events Director on planning, team recruitment and registration, website content updating and promotion of the World Series of Birding
· Assist at in-person Finish Line and with simultaneous live broadcast
· Assist with Awards Brunch planning, registration, signage, crowd flow and management, live recording of event.
· Prepare follow up documents, including awardee and team recognition certificates
· Assist with other orgarnizational events during the year including but not limited to the annual Optics Sale, Volunteer Appreciation Party, donor events and interdepartmental events.
· Assume a team approach to event assistance working with other departments (development/communication/finance/mission) to realize the best event outcome.
· Prepare written reports and plans as required in cooperation with the Special Events team.
· Attend department and NJ Audubon meetings and serve on department or Organization committees as requested by supervisor.
· Assume additional responsibilities as required for the Department and Organization.
· Participate with other staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the assigned center.
· Minimum of High School Diploma.
· Minimum two years administrative work experience requiring customer/public interaction, with emphasis on computer and social media skills; events planning a plus.
· Knowledge of environment, conservation, and birdwatching a plus.
· Excellent computer skills – Microsoft Office 365 (especially Word and Excel), Internet, and Research skills.
· Ability to master complex online event registration and Silent Auction software. Cvent and Eventbrite experience a plus.
· Familiarity and comfort with using audio visual equipment, including digital projectors.
· Social media competency (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn).
· Graphic design and/or website design experience a plus.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of his or her responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the organization, including availability to work occasional evenings and weekends and travel as needed.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a vehicle in NJ, have the physical capacity to walk on uneven terrain and be able to move materials and to lift 25 lbs.
Start Date: Immediate.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: This position will remain open until filled.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate job title in the subject line so that your application is routed to the correct department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.