Rock River Coalition is recruiting for a dynamic and detail-oriented communications and event coordinator to join our team. The communications & event coordinator collaborates with Rock River Coalition Staff to develop and implement marketing and communications plans, strategies, and materials aimed at enhancing engagement with our mission and leads a range of events, both in person and virtual. The communications & events coordinator plays a central role in building a vibrant, inclusive, and productive Rock River Coalition community.
Rock River Coalition is a non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and provide opportunities for people of diverse interests to work together to improve the environmental, recreational, cultural, and economic resources of the Rock River Basin. Established over 25 years ago, the organization pursues its mission through citizen engagement.
POSITION: Events & Communications Coordinator
Position Description: Rock River Coalition seeks an enthusiastic, detail-oriented person with a strong understanding of both science and communications to assist with communications, outreach, and event management efforts.
· Compensation: $18-$24 per/hour depending on experience. Rock River Coalition offers benefits that include a health stipend and paid time off. This is a part-time (20-30 hr. a week) grant funded position with some prorated benefits. Current grant funding is available through 2022.
Commitment: 20-30 hours a week, up to 35 hours a week during some event weeks. This is expected to be a permanent 20-30 hour per week position but will depend on funding. This position is responsible for structuring their time. Must be available for some meetings during regular business hours and for events that happen on weekends or evenings.
Anticipated start date: January 31, 2022, or sooner
Location: TBD -Most meetings will occur virtually during the Covid-19 pandemic. The Rock River Coalition’s home office is in Jefferson, Wi at 864 Collins Road. However, it is anticipated that this position would work primarily from home during the Covid-19 pandemic and at our office in Jefferson, or at a TBD location in Madison or from a home office in the future.
Event Management (%55): Responsible for initiating, arranging, and overseeing all aspects of event logistics.
· Coordinate annual daylong conference: Identify planning committee members, schedule and lead planning committee meetings, develop marketing plan, play a lead role in development and implementation of conference.
· Coordinate all aspects of the RRC online auction fundraiser: solicit auction items, create the online auction webpage, promote the auction, and coordinate item delivery to item winners.
· Develop and coordinate annual lecture series. Recruit speakers, moderate/host lectures.
· Coordinate annual river clean up event.
· Assist as needed with volunteer trainings and appreciation events.
· Coordinate and implement annual membership meeting.
· Negotiate and manage contracts with third party vendors and service providers.
· Coordinate other events as needed.
· Monitor and document event activities and data.
Communications, Graphic Design & Media (40%)
· Maintain and create content for Rock River Coalition’s website using WordPress.
· Conduct interviews and write at least one RRC e-newsletter article a month as well as other content specific to programs, projects, or other communications channels. Collect and solicit additional content for both the monthly e-newsletter and our biannual paper newsletter.
· Work with staff to distill technical information in an easy-to-understand way.
· Be a resource to RRC staff and board for written and presentation materials.
· Collaborate and brainstorm with teammates on themes, strategies, and content for communications and marketing to reach, engage, and grow various audience segments including environmentally conscious citizens and young conservation professionals.
· Write press releases.
· Design, create, and update visually compelling materials within existing brand and style parameters that promote the work and offerings of the Rock River Coalition, including but not limited to:
· Design monthly e-newsletter: Ensure email newsletter is drafted with compelling and informative material and delivered each month in a timely manner to sustain engagement.
· Solicit and collect content for Rock River Reflections, RRC’s bi-annual paper newsletter.
· Develop flyers and brochures to inform and promote programs (e.g., webinars, trainings, river clean ups) and projects (e.g., Stream Monitoring Map).
· Create T-shirt designs that are appealing and reflective of the organization’s mission.
· Act as point person with print houses and vendors for majority of print projects.
· Participate in the RRC strategic planning process.
Social Media (5%)
· Collaborate with teammates on strategies to cultivate & grow social communities to achieve RRC growth.
· Develop the day-to-day social media plan (Facebook and Twitter primarily, also YouTube, Instagram).
· Monitor, manage, and respond to comments and messages on social platforms.
· Track key performance indicators for email and social media; assist with compiling results for reporting.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
The successful candidate for this opportunity will have the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in communications and/or water resources, environmental science or related. (Should have extensive knowledge of both science and communications.)
· Ability to be responsible for planning and overseeing events from ideation through to completion.
· Demonstrated experience using social media platforms to grow and engage communities, as well as with management tools to curate content, pull metrics, and monitor audiences.
· Excellent communication (written, oral, listening, interpersonal) and organizational skills.
· Exceptional writing and editing skills.
· Self-motivated with an attention to detail.
· Willingness to take on work outside the immediate job description.
· Ability to work both independently with little supervision and in a team environment.
· Strong command of Microsoft Office, email marketing platforms and WordPress.
· A passion for water resources and the environment.
· Demonstrated understanding of the value of inclusiveness and diversity in all its forms: racial and cultural, political, age, gender, economic, and social.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
· Familiarity with the land and waters of the Rock River Basin.
· One to three years of related graphic design, communications, marketing experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Proficiency and strong command of Adobe Creative Suite demonstrated by submitted portfolio and Mailchimp.
· Must have reliable transportation.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Although not required, if you have two professional writing samples and two to three creative graphic pieces, please include them as well. Use the subject line “Communications & Event Coordinator.” References will be required for top applicants. We will start reviewing applications on January 10th, 2022 but the position will remain open until filled.
The Rock River Coalition provides equal opportunity in programs and employment. The Rock River Coalition does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest record or non-program related conviction record.