HawkWatch International is a conservation, research organization based in Salt Lake City, Utah. We work throughout the Western United States, as well as internationally, to monitor and protect birds of prey. The mission of HawkWatch International is to conserve our environment through education, long-term monitoring, and scientific research on raptors as indicators of ecosystem health.
The Educator position will participate in the planning, development, and implementation of a variety of educational programs: assisting with care of our education raptors; training of volunteers; and education program curriculum development.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
· Work with the education department in the design and implementation of quality education programs for the general public and K-12 curricula
· Delivery and facilitation of presentations to K-12 school students and the general public, with an emphasis on grades 9-12
· Assist in the development and delivery of teacher professional development programs
· Travel across Utah and the Western United States to deliver presentations
· Assist in the training of docent volunteers in bird handling and presentation skills
· Assist in the care and enrichment of education raptors
· Networking with community and regional partners
· Bachelor’s degree in related field
· 3-5 years experience in public speaking/programming
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Efficient time management skills to consistently meet deadlines.
· Computer proficiency, particularly with Microsoft Suite, Adobe, and Google applications
· Must have a valid driver’s license and own vehicle
· The ideal candidate will exhibit a commitment to the protection of wildlife and our shared environment.
· Ability to relate to all ages of the community; pre-K to adult
· Ability to work with diverse communities and wide-ranging demographics
· Experience working with captive wildlife, especially birds
· Experience teaching at any level
· Basic understanding of data collection and analysis in scientific research
· Basic understanding of STEM education and initiatives in Utah
· Experience working in a non-profit environment
Hours and Compensation
Full-time (exempt) position. Compensation DOE plus excellent benefits and paid time off.
To apply, please send cover letter, 3 references and resume to Nikki Wayment at email@example.com by March 1, 2019. No phone calls.