Director of Philanthropy (see job on our website here)
San Francisco Bay Area (Fairfield), California
About International Bird Rescue — www.birdrescue.org
Imagine a world in which every person, every day, acted to protect the natural home of wildlife and ourselves. In 1971 after 800,000 gallons of crude oil spilled into San Francisco Bay, concerned individuals led by a registered nurse named Alice Berkner jumped into action, bringing International Bird Rescue to life. We have always had to pave a road where there is none. Staff and volunteers work with tenacity alongside clients, partners, and the public to find solutions. Today, we research best practices at our crisis response hospitals in California and Alaska and share them worldwide. Our mission is to inspire people to act toward balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis. We run two full-time wildlife hospitals and one turnkey wildlife emergency response facility.
About the Position
Bird Rescue is seeking an experienced Director of Philanthropy for a well-established and evolving nonprofit in the animal welfare/environmental sector. The incumbent will work in partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to increase and mobilize resources to support our local and global programs. S/he will create and execute an annual development strategy to increase support from individual donors, corporate partners, and foundations while also identifying opportunities for growth.
The successful candidate will be a collaborative self-starter, focused on teamwork, and committed to serving as a key proponent of our mission. The incumbent will establish and maintain an inclusive working environment with diverse staff, be energized and resourceful, and interact with team members, donors, and supporters with warmth and integrity. The Director of Philanthropy will supervise the Grants Consultant and Development Assistant, and will have the opportunity to build the team further to meet the long-term strategy.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive and diversified strategy to sustain and grow the revenue base of Bird Rescue, including but not limited to annual giving, major gifts, institutional and corporate giving, planned giving, and special events.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit top-level gifts in collaboration with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and senior staff.
- Help build a team of motivated, inspired staff to fulfill organizational goals, including contractors
- Develop and manage an annual budget, complete with measurable goals and timelines
- Lead and engage the advancement committee and Board of Directors in fundraising efforts
- Become an expert on Bird Rescue programs and share the impact of our work with donors in authentic and compelling ways.
- Manage donor data to track performance, giving trends, identify new opportunities for revenue and drive efficiencies.
- 7+ years of fundraising experience, with a proven track record of closing gifts and reaching revenue targets; 5+ years in a senior role at a nonprofit
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills geared toward diverse audiences including corporate clients, foundation and individual donors.
- Insights and expertise on the philanthropic landscape in West Coast (Bay Area and Greater Los Angeles)
- Knowledge of environmental and wildlife issues, particularly in relation to ocean health
- Solid experience and disciplined approach to donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce.
- A passion for our mission and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- A team player who enjoys supporting and collaborating with colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university; Master’s degree a plus
Flexible, with 2-3 days/week at our wildlife center in Fairfield;
Occasional travel to our wildlife center in San Pedro is required
Compensation and Start Date
This full-time position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, flexible work hours, collaborative work environment, and a benefits package that includes generous vacation, health insurance, and other benefits. The ideal start date is October 1, 2019.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Philanthropy” AND YOUR NAME in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Qualified applicants only. Principals only. No phone calls, please!
International Bird Rescue is committed to representing the diverse populations of bird lovers in the world. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization.