JOB TITLE: Database Architect
REPORTS TO: Director of Global Conservation Science
BASED AT (OFFICE LOCATION): Boise, ID
FULL/PART TIME: Full-Time Exempt
Conserving Birds of Prey Worldwide
WORK WITH US
The Peregrine Fund protects the Earth’s raptors, partnering with local people on five continents to inspire action and preserve essential habitat. Support comes from individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government grants. We were founded in 1970 to rescue the Peregrine Falcon from extinction by pioneering methods to breed and release them across North America. With that historic success, our mission grew to encompass all raptor species worldwide. Today we:
· Restore critically endangered species
· Research little-known species
· Train and support local conservation leaders
· Engage all ages with environmental education
· Conserve habitat
Our employee benefits program plays a vital role in demonstrating our commitment to our employees. We are pleased to offer eligible employees a benefits program that is comprehensive and among the best among our peer institutions, including a 403(b) retirement program as well as health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance.
The Peregrine Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The successful applicant will be required to complete a background screening before final offer of employment is made.
The Database Architect is responsible for improving, expanding, and managing the Global Raptor Impact Network’s (GRIN) relational database of raptor observations. They work to ensure that the database structure allows for the storage of all data collected by The Peregrine Fund and users of GRIN. They also develop strategies for warehouse implementation, data acquisition and access, and data archiving and recovery. They oversee any transfer of data or synchronization between partner organizations. The Database Architect works closely with biologists to develop efficient data entry tools and intuitive data outputs and summaries.
RESPONSIBILITES AND SCOPE
· Avoid data entropy by ensuring all data and metadata are stored on state-of-the-art media
· Oversee mobilization of historical data from The Peregrine Fund, atlases, and partners
· Develop and enforce quality standards for data and metadata
· Add functionality to the database that ensures data-types collected by The Peregrine Fund and partners can be stored
· Develop and enforce security procedures
· Develop and implement a system of access levels whereby data collectors can decide how data are used and disseminated
· Develop summaries and outputs as needed by biologists
· Oversee integration with the Avian Knowledge Network (www.avianknowledge.net)
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, or related field
· Five years of experience managing databases
· Familiarity with SQL, Access, and ESRI databases
· Experience with HTML5, CSS3 and other front-end UI/presentation languages
· Master’s degree in computer science or related field
· Familiarity with html, smartphone app development, and GIS
· Experience with large, open biological datasets such as BISON, AKN, GBIF, etc.
· Familiarity with NABCI data management standards
Email cover letter and resume in one file to Hiring Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org