The Wilson Ornithological Society (WOS) is seeking applicants for a part-time, contract position to promote opportunities, activities, and accomplishments of our 501-C3, membership-based, scientific organization. We are looking to increase interaction among our members, increase outreach to potential new members, and advance our mission through more purposeful and effective communications. Social media presence, communication through our societal website, and direct email will constitute major components of this work.
The WOS is an international scientific society comprising community members who share a curiosity about birds. We produce the quarterly Wilson Journal of Ornithology as the latest iteration of scientific journal publication supported by the Society since 1888. The WOS is committed to providing mentorship to both professional and amateur ornithologists through sponsorship of research, teaching, and conservation.
- Approximate Time Commitment. We envision this position requiring on average about 10 hours/week, but demands will wax and wane with events such as announcements relevant to annual meeting participation, release of published articles from the Wilson Journal of Ornithology, etc.
- Compensation. The position is budgeted for and is to be developed as a private contractor with a wage of $30/hour. This would amount to a total compensation of approximately $16,000 annually.
- Reports To. The WOS functions through a Council of approximately 25 volunteers, with a smaller Executive Committee comprising current officers and the immediate Past-President. The Communications Specialist will report directly to the President and the Chair of the Communications Committee, with all members of Council encouraged to collaborate with the Communications Specialist to share items of interest or otherwise generate content for distribution.
Preferred Experience/Qualifications. In addition to the organizational skill necessary to develop and implement a communications plan for the WOS, we expect that qualified applicants will have earned a Bachelor’s degree and can demonstrate specific experience with:
- Wordpress; Google Drive and associated programs (Google Docs, Spreadsheets, etc.); Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel)
- Social media platforms; understanding of the nature of social media communication
- Creating online content; working with those who write peer reviewed literature to create posts for a less technical audience; writing or editing popular articles or blog posts in STEM
- Creating infographics/images for social media/website posting
- Coursework in ornithology, ecology, evolution, conservation, wildlife, or biological sciences
To apply, submit a cover letter, CV/résumé, one supporting item to illustrate a relevant example of your experience/qualifications, and contact information for three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “WOS Communications Specialist” followed by your last name. Your cover letter can be addressed to WOS President Dr. Tim O’Connell c/o Natural Resource Ecology and Management, 018 Agricultural Hall, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078.
Application Deadline: Monday, 21 June 2021.
Please direct inquiries about the position to email@example.com.