Join our growing team!
We are accepting inquiries to fill a 2-year, fully-funded Graduate Assistant position in Applied Ecology and Conservation Biology program in the Department of Biology. The successful applicant will receive a stipend & tuition remission while performing research on wading birds (Ardeidae) and seabirds (Procellariiformes, Gaviiformes, Charadriiformes, and others), the parasites that infect them, and the plastic debris that they consume. The research project associated with this position is largely lab-based, but will also include travel to field sites, partner institutions for collaborative work, and scientific conferernces. Those with an interest in avian ecology, anatomy, and immunology as it relates to modern diseases will thoroughly enjoy this program. The chosen indiviual will join a dynamic, collaborative, and collegial lab, with access to modern analytical facilities and exposure to several ecologically-based researh programs, all set in the mountains of beautiful western Maryland. Frostburg has a rich history, is close to DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburg, and offers a plethora of adventurous opportunities of outdoor enthusiasts.
Visit the AECB Program Requirements website here: https://www.frostburg.edu/academics/majorminors/graduate/ms-applied-ecology-and-conservation-biology/additional-resources/aecb-admission-requirements.php to see if you qualify for admission.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should send an email to Dr. Kate Sheehan (KLSheehan@frostburg.edu) explaining:
1) Your qualifications and interests in the field;
2) Your long-term professional goals;
3) Provide the numeric and percentile (%) GRE score in the email body – no applicants will be considered without test scores; and
4) Attach a CV outlining your achievements.
*Messages without all 4 components mentioned above will not be retained or considered. Applications sent directly to the Admissions office without prior vetting by Dr. Sheehan will not be considered.
**Underrepresented groups in the fields of ecology, conservation, and natural resources are particularly encouraged to apply & all qualified individuals submitting complete application correspondences before 21 Mar 2023 to KLSheehan@frostburg.edu will be considered.
- B.S. in Biology or related discipline before 06/01/2023. Confirmation of graduation status is acceptable.
- Enthusiasm & motivation to perform independent & team research in a laboratory setting.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills with an ability to further improve on these skills.