Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

Northern bobwhite researcher wins Rusch Memorial scholarship

Cara J

Nominations for the 2017 Donald H. Rusch Memorial Game Bird Research Scholarship will be accepted through May 1. The annual scholarship is open to any graduate student studying upland birds or waterfowl biology or management. Click on the link above to visit the Rusch Memorial Scholarship webpage, or visit our awards page to learn more about all TWS awards. Victoria L. Simonson was awarded the 2016 Donald H. Rusch Memorial Game Bird Research Scholarship for her work on northern bobwhite quail in the Master of Science in Applied Ecology program at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “I cultivated my passion for natural systems during my childhood while exploring pastures and pheasant hunting with my family every fall,” Simonson wrote in her application for the scholarship. “I watched as pastures and small grain crops disappeared to make way for more and more cornfields. As the people and land around me changed, I noticed corresponding changes in how birds and mammals used the landscape, especially as the number of pheasants harvested by my family each fall dwindled. My early experiences ultimately opened my eyes to anthropogenic impacts on wildlife ecology.” The award was created in 2000 in honor of Don Rusch, who died unexpectedly the previous [...]

Read more: http://wildlife.org/northern-bobwhite-researcher-wins-rusch-memorial-scholarship/

Archived