Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

1 million migrating raptors, Magpies, Latvian bird names and more – Ethno-ornithology at the EOU

Chris Merkord

Presenters at the “European ethno-ornithology and conservation” symposium (co-chaired by Andy Gosler and Maris Strazds). From left – Alison Greggor from the University of Cambridge, Nigel Hopper from the University of Birmingham, Wouter Vansteelant from the University of Amsterdam, Maris Strazds of the University of Latvia and Andy Gosler of the Edward Grey Institute at Oxford University.
From Bob Gosford's blog:

---

Here I provide the Abstracts and background information for the first ethnoornithology symposium conducted at a European ornithological conference – the European Ornithologists Union conference at the East Anglia University at Norwich, UK.

This time last week I was basking in the warm Norfolk sun enjoying the last day of the 9th meeting of the European Ornithologists Union at the East Anglia University at Norwich.

My photo of the presenters at the “European ethno-ornithology and conservation” symposium (co-chaired by Andy Gosler and Maris Strazds) does no credit to them – they really are a much nicer group that this fuzzy photo shows!.

From left – Alison Greggor from the University of Cambridge, Nigel Hopper from the University of Birmingham, Wouter Vansteelant from the University of Amsterdam, Maris Strazds of the University of Latvia and Andy Gosler of the Edward Grey Institute at Oxford University. I’ve listed affiliations and contacts below if you want to contact any of the presenters* and I have interviews with Wouter Vansteelant and Andy Gosler that I will post here once they have been transcribed.

Here are the Abstracts presented at the symposium, which opened with a joint presentation by myself and Andy Gosler entitled “A Brief Introduction To European Ethno-ornithology and Conservation.

Read the list of abstracts and more on the blog here: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2013/09/08/1-million-migrating-raptors-magpies-latvian-bird-names-and-more-ethno-ornithology-at-the-eou/

Archived