We are looking for volunteer field assistants for our study on the breeding ecology and behavior of Daurian Redstart Phoenicurus auroreus from April 1 to July 30, 2019. The project will be conducted in Dagang Forest Farm, Jilin, Jilin Province, in northeast China. Volunteers are expected to assist in mist-netting adults, searching nests, checking nest boxes, monitoring the breeding process and conducting experiments etc. During the process, volunteers will have opportunities to learn field skills of ornithological research, see many bird species of northeast China, and experience Chinese tradition and culture.
The project will cover all work-related expenses during the volunteering period (i.e. housing, foods, and traffics, etc.), but there is no salary, and the assistants are responsible for their travel to and from China.
1. Strong interest in wildlife research, especially birds and animal behaviors;
2. A background in biology, ecology or a related field. Previous experience with birds is preferred, but not essential (basic training, such as mist-netting and behavioral observation, will be provided).
3. Be physically fit for field work and willing to work for long and irregular time in the field.
4. Be used to Chinese diet and be willing to share rooms with other crew members.
5. A minimum stay of two months (those staying longer will be preferred).
To apply: Please contact Jinggang Zhang at "email@example.com". The application should include (1) a short CV, (2) the dates you will be available for the project and (3) the names and contact information of at least two references.