Welcome back, Guest
You can post a job without signing in, but signing in has the following benefits:
- See a list of jobs you've posted
- Edit jobs you've posted
- Sign up for email notifications of new jobs.
- Enjoy all the other benefits of membership
Jump to content
The Ornithology Exchange features content posted by our members. In some cases announcements have been re-posted from other websites.
Need help, have a question, see something on this job announcement needs to be corrected, or want to have this job removed immediately? Create a support request in our Job Board Support Forum
Job Description: Stone Harbor Point Beach Nesting BirdnTechnician will monitor nesting activities and behavior of beach-nesting birds (Piping Plover, American Oystercatcher, Black Skimmer, Common and Least Tern), as well as document disturbance and predation and will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, and doing data entry, public outreach, equipment maintenance, and other duties as necessary. The position requires walking long distances over sandy beach, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
· Searching for and monitoring nests and conducting bird surveys
· Recording detailed observations and data in the field
· Monitoring beach nesting bird broods
· Documenting disturbance and predation
· Data entry and management
Knowledge and Skills
· Experience identifying and monitoring beach nesting birds and nest searching
· Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
· Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
· Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
· Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic.
· Excellent oral and written skills required.
· Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
· Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
· Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
· Must be able to walk long distances in uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
Starting Date: April 9, 2018 End Date: August 17, 2018
Salary: $ 1800 - $2200/ month, depending on experience.
Application Deadline: February 25, 2018.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com