Welcome back, Guest
You can post a job without signing in, but signing in has the following benefits:
- See a list of jobs you've posted
- Edit jobs you've posted
- Sign up for email notifications of new jobs.
- Enjoy all the other benefits of membership
Jump to content
The Ornithology Exchange features content posted by our members. In some cases announcements have been re-posted from other websites.
Need help, have a question, see something on this job announcement needs to be corrected, or want to have this job removed immediately? Create a support request in our Job Board Support Forum
Volunteer field assistants are needed for breeding ecology and behavior research on Silver-throated Bushtit (Aegithalos glaucogularis) and Black-throated Bushtit (Aegithalos concinnus) from December 2017 to May 2018. The project will be conducted in Dongzhai National Nature Reserve in central China. Volunteers are expected to assist in mist-netting, banding and blood-sampling adult tits, resighting banded individuals and observing their flocking behaviors during the period from December 2017 to January 2018 (winter season), and searching nests and monitoring the breeding process, conducting experiments, data entry, and other general field work from February to mid May 2018 (spring season).
Volunteers will have opportunities to learn field skills of ornithological research, see many bird species of central China, and experience Chinese tradition and culture.
The project will cover all work-related expenses in China (i.e. housing, foods, and traffics, etc.), but there is no salary, and the assistants are responsible for their travel to and from China.
For more information about the research group and the project, please visit: http://www.luckytit.cn
1. Strong interest in wildlife research, especially birds and animal behaviors.
2. A background in biology, ecology or a related field. Previous experience with birds is preferred, but not essential (Basic training such as bird banding, behavioral observation, blood sampling, will be provided).
3. Be physically fit for field work and willing to work for long and irregular time in the field.
4. Be used to Chinese diet and be willing to share rooms with other crew members.
1. A minimum stay of one month for winter season (Dec and Jan) and two months for spring season (Feb to May) is expected, respectively, and those staying longer will be preferred.
2. Since Chinese New Year of 2018 will be around 16 February, the field group will be on vacation from 7 to 24 February. The volunteers are therefore expected to settle your own accommodation during the Spring Festival (e.g. to arrange a trip) if you plan to go on volunteering in spring.
To apply :
Please contact Gaoyang YU at "ygy95525ATsina.com". The application should include (1) a short resume or CV, and (2) the dates you will be available for the project. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.