Baton Rouge or New Orleans, LA
Last Date to Apply:
Open until filled
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and names of three references to National Audubon Society's online application portal. Position Summary:
Since 2012, Audubon Louisiana’s state office, in partnership with other local and national organizations, has built a broad constituency of Louisiana citizens in support of large-scale strategies to restore Louisiana’s coast to a sustainable ecosystem. The Coastal Outreach Coordinator will continue to enhance and strengthen this effort by identifying and engaging Audubon members and supporters, along with other members of the conservation community, to work with state and federal officials to gain their support for restoration strategies. Such strategies include implementation of large river diversions and sediment distribution to rebuild wetlands and natural coastal barriers, and prudent application of standards to prevent land loss and sustain coastal communities. Emphasis will be on the habitat benefits of restoration to fish and wildlife, and people.
The Coastal Outreach Coordinator will report to the Communications Manager and be part of an integral team of organizations working to restore the Mississippi River Delta. Those groups include but are not limited to the National Wildlife Federation, National Audubon Society, Environmental Defense Fund, Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana and Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation.
- Develop and implement advocacy outreach plans
- Engage the Audubon Louisiana network in conservation, engagement, and advocacy activities including but not limited to:
- organizing Audubon-led volunteer events;
- developing an engagement plan and schedule of presentations to landowner and conservation-oriented groups;
- speaking at conferences, public meetings, and other social and professional events where conservationists are in attendance; and
- tabling at festivals, fundraising banquets and other outreach opportunities that benefit Audubon Louisiana’s mission.
- Develop a strategy that strengthens and grows the relationship with volunteers and grassroots stakeholders through regular communications and other outreach efforts.
- Coordinate outreach to landowners, community leaders, media contacts, and policy makers. This includes in-office meetings with agency representatives and/or educational trips or tours including but not limited to walking/birding tours and boat trips on the coast.
- Work collaboratively with local, state and national organizations with an interest in coastal restoration, including specifically partnering with the organizations in the Restore the Mississippi River Delta Campaign (RMRDC).
- Oversee aspects of social media, and assist the Communications Manager with generating earned media through print stories and radio and TV interviews from outlets throughout Louisiana.
- Work with Executive Director, Communications Manager, and development staff to identify and integrate fundraising opportunities through outreach work.
- Track progress of outreach goals and work with the Audubon Louisiana and RMRDC staff to prepare required performance reporting.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in environmental science, natural resource management, ecology, political science, communications or related field required.
- 3+ years’ experience in relevant communications or communities and relationship management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the challenges of coastal land loss and coastal restoration in Louisiana required.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to motivate volunteers and partners essential.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management capabilities and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to build consensus amongst a wide range of individuals. Comfort with presenting and engaging in public speaking events also necessary.
- Experience in motivating, training, recruiting, and organizing people from broad and diverse backgrounds, including volunteers, media and decision makers.
- Strong problem solving skills, including ability to respond quickly and effectively to unforeseen challenges.
- Effective listening, probing, and assessment skills.
- Experience and comfort using social media and adjusting to new communication tools and tactics.
Proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and database management required.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends, evenings, as the job demands.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel including occasional overnights.