The Parrot Garden Manager is responsible for providing strategic guidance and management to the Best Friends Parrot Department to best utilize resources, meet objectives, and supervise budget, safety and operational plans for delivering exemplary animal care and maximize lifesaving efforts.
If you're interested, please click this link to apply: https://bestfriends.applicantpro.com/jobs/928424.html
- Provide strategic direction and managerial oversight for the admissions, care, training and adoption of parrots at the Sanctuary.
- Lead and manage staff: recruiting and selection of new hires; set clear goals and expectations; performance management; provide development opportunities; establish and maintain a professional work environment while providing appropriate leadership and direction; promote positive morale, creativity and teamwork among staff.
- Assess parrots for placement at the Sanctuary and coordinate intake.
- Oversee adoption process.
- Responsible for establishing and reviewing department processes and protocols and staff implementation. Educate staff and the public on all aspects of bird care, and work to create safe and effective care environments for the various needs of birds at the Sanctuary.
- Prepare and manage the operational budget and metrics for the Parrot Department, including purchasing, reconciliation and forecasting.
- Foster a collaborative work environment within the parrot department as well as with other teams throughout the organization. This includes but is not limited to coordinating with the clinic to improve protocols or to collaborate on specific medical cases, working with the Visitor Center on parrot related activities or events, providing support and resources to our regional centers, etc.
- Work with the visitor and volunteer departments to monitor, evaluate and improve visitor, volunteer and intern programs. This includes but is not limited to the evaluation of new engagement opportunities, the interviewing, oversight and evaluation of interns, and providing feedback on existing programs.
- Network with other rescue organizations. Provide to shelters, groups and individuals consultation and training on bird behavior as work schedule allows or refer them to appropriate staff.
- Responsible for providing on-call support for Sanctuary bird emergencies.
- Keep abreast of concerns and trends in the animal welfare movement and serve as one of the key representatives of the Parrot Department as work schedule allows or appoint and mentor appropriate staff to serve as a representative re: public presentations, email correspondence, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- This is a leadership position requiring 3+ years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Parrot knowledge to include understanding of species characteristics and behaviors, skilled in parrot restraint and handling techniques, and the ability to interpret parrot body language.
- Experience in development and implementation of a department strategic plan.
- Must be a problem solver who is solutions oriented: creative and innovative with the ability and comfort to change directions quickly and as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to manage change and lead the team through change.
- Experience in team building and staff development.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in various stages of development, each with a unique timeline.
- Demonstrates accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' positions on issues.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Valid Driver's License with access to transportation to travel on organization business. Access to driving records will be needed for insurance purposes.
- Must be able to perform full range of movement: stretching, bending, squatting, climbing, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Work is often outdoors in variable weather conditions and frequently requires the physical ability to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Ability to travel via various forms of public transportation for organization events including conferences, media events, etc.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.