The Institute for Bird Populations – Point Reyes Station, CA
Job Title: Development Associate
Job Type: Part-time (50%)
Reports to: Executive Director
About The Institute for Bird Populations
The Institute for Bird Populations (IBP) studies the abundance, trends, and ecology of bird populations to enable scientifically sound conservation of birds and their habitats. We collaborate locally, nationally, and globally with government agencies, university scientists, and NGOs to assess the effects of land management actions, climate change, and other ecological stressors on bird populations, and prescribe practical solutions to conservation challenges. Each year we train dozens of young conservation scientists, many of whom serve as volunteer field technicians. We frequently publish our cutting-edge science in peer-reviewed journals. To learn more, visit www.birdpop.org.
The Development Associate will work with the Executive Director, other IBP staff, and the Board of Directors to develop new sources of private philanthropy. The Associate will help identify, contact, and develop lasting relationships with individuals and private foundations that can support the mission and programs of IBP, and will also help develop print and web materials to attract donors and support donor requests. Anticipated start date is October 1, 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Work with the Executive Director to implement a private philanthropy fundraising strategy.
● Research and identify funding prospects that are aligned with the needs of the organization.
● Develop, manage, cultivate, and steward a portfolio of individual and foundation prospects and current donors.
● Encourage higher levels of donor engagement through relationship cultivation, including email and direct mail appeals, phone calls, and in-person visits.
● Request donations from funding prospects.
● Help design, create, and distribute direct mail appeals, annual reports, social media and website content, and other materials to support donation requests.
● Plan and attend donor tours, site visits, and fundraising events.
● Experience in a development or communications role, ideally with a non-profit environmental organization. Record of successful private fundraising required.
● Seeking a fundraising ‘shark’ – someone with an outgoing and energetic personality who is excited about requesting and securing donations.
● Highly organized and self-motivated.
● Excellent writing skills.
● Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines.
● Ability to work individually and as a member of a team.
● Willingness to occasionally travel and work evenings and weekends (e.g., donor visits and field trips).
● Excellent social media skills.
● Passion for nature and conservation.
● Must have reliable automobile transportation and a valid driver’s license.
● Sense of humor and ability to thrive in an informal office setting.
● Basic graphic design skills and proficiency with design software are a plus but not strictly required.
● Ability to understand technical scientific literature desired but not strictly required.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a half-time salaried position paying $36,000 annually. Position includes vacation, paid holidays, prorated health insurance, and other fringe benefits.
Partial telecommuting is an option, but we seek candidates willing to work in our office in Point Reyes Station, CA, at least one day per week.
Please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for at least two professional references to rsiegel[at]birdpop.org. Samples of writing or other fundraising collateral materials are also welcome. No telephone calls please. Please enter “Development Associate” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin August 20 and continue until the position is filled.